General discussion

My Vista Home Premium 64 is slow to boot and often freezes

I timed it this morning: 6 minutes from power on to ready to work. Occassionally it goes to sleep and after 4-8 minutes or so, comes back as if nothing were happening.

I've cleaned the start up list, use CCleaner, Ad-Aware and Norton (latest versions of each).

The system is a four core, 4 GB, 2 1/2 year old HP.

I am considering doing a clean reinstall of the operating system and applications but dread the work and the loss of system use.

Then I recalled that there was some capability in Vista to run dual environments.

So: Is it possible to set up a dual boot environment where one partition is my current system and another is the clean install version?

My thinking is to take my time doing the clean install since, in theory, I would still have my current (slow) but known environment to do my real work in until the new partition was solid and shaken down.

Am I violating any licensing rules?

Is there a "how to" that is more understandable than what I've found on the Microsoft website?

Thanks,

JMB

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My Vista Home Premium 64 is slow to boot and often freezes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Vista Home Premium 64 is slow to boot and often freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I see some problems.

I can't tell what OS CD you have. Most HP's have a system recovery set which limits your choices but at this age and symptoms have you done the following? Watch the video at http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

Q. So: Is it possible to set up a dual boot environment where one partition is my current system and another is the clean install version?

A. Unlikely. Most don't have the OS DVD to do that.
Bob

- Collapse -
fix it than reinstalling

why dont you fix it up? seeing your relative high hardware (4 core CPU, 4GB RAM) I don't think Vista itself is THAT slow.
Well, spare a few hours to do maintenance things:
-Uninstall any program you don't use
-Run system hard disk cleaner (windows disk cleanup do fine, but CCleaner better)
-Run registry check (CCleaner has the feature)
-Defragment your hard drive (especially if you haven't done it for that 2,5 years)

You said it goes to sleep after 4 minutes or so, then check your Power Option settings. Maybe there's something that choking your system up.

- Collapse -
A few more things...

You can also do try freeing up disk space, setting up disk defrag to run at regular invervals (monthly), and since you are running Vista you can try using ReadyBoost to speed up your system - http://www.microsoft.com/atwork/maintenance/speed.aspx.

Hope this is helpful!
Cassandra

- Collapse -
Re: Slow to boot, sometimes sleepy System

Thanks for the observations. I have used CCleaner for years, clean out the systray and unused programs regularly and have done all the things I have learned since the early DOS days.

Does anyone know of a "how to" guide to install a dual boot environment? What I have found so far seem to leave a lot unsaid.

If another OS license is needed, that might be worth the "insurance" to protect against having the system unavailable/crippled for several days while I rebuild it.

Thanks again,

jmb

- Collapse -
Dual boot is widely discussed.

I bet some would be swamped by it all! But let me share the simplest dual boot for Windows. It's really easy. Install the oldest Windows version first then the next oldest.

Remember that for OEM or HP, other supplied versions, there are hard limits in those versions so this may not be an option.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info