Computer Help forum

General discussion

My video card isn't working.....

by cursed101 / January 7, 2010 5:13 AM PST

My computer is a a Microsoft XP and i just bought a new video card for it that is compatible with the system. the video card is a GeForce2 MX. I installed and downloaded it but when i use the video card my moniter goes black and comes back frozen. i am so lost and have no idea what to do.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My video card isn't working.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My video card isn't working.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: video card
by Kees Bakker / January 7, 2010 6:35 AM PST

In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_2_Series I read that the GeForce2 MX was replaced by the GeForce4 MX in januari 2002. That's exactly 8 years ago. It's amazing that they still sell new ones. Where did you buy it, and how much did you pay for it?

Of course, computers aren't XP. That's an OS. Computers are Dell or HP or Gateway or so on. Can you tell more (make and model)? Also, is this an AGP or PCI card?

I checked the driver download for this card, but the Nvidia site only goes down to the GeForce 4 MX, not the GeForce 2 MX. So I assume you used the driver on the CD that was in the new box for this new card? And you are sure it's the latest driver for Windows XP?

And what do you mean with "monitor comes back frozen". It seems you mean something else than black. But I don't understand the details.

What was the old video card you replaced? Why did you replace it? Or was it video on the motherboard? In that case, you might need to change something in the BIOS setup to enable the card.

All I can suggest:
- If boot the PC, do the BIOS messages appear and can you get into the BIOS setup? If so, tell more about WHEN the monitor goes black exactly.
- Check the resolution and refresh rate your video card is set to; that should be in the range recommended for your monitor.
- Try what happens if you boot into Safe Mode. Do you see the XP screen and the desktop then?
- If no luck, bring your PC to the shop and claim warranty. They either can fix it (lucky you!) or give the money back (lucky you also!).

For me, this is either a driver issue, or a hardware issue. The above suggestions cover both, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
:(
by cursed101 / January 8, 2010 12:06 PM PST
In reply to: Re: video card

im sorry. i know very little about computers so im fuzzy. if you need the model and stuff i can figure it out. However, i have tried to reboot the system and everything works fine. As i am working on the computer the screen will go blank and then it will show up again a couple seconds later, but what i was working on has become frozen and the view distorted and the pixilation way off. i didn't have a video card before, which is why i bought one. I bought it off of amazon and it was supposed to be new but know im having my doubts. Do you think i should just buy a new one that is up to date, and current?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?