Computer Help forum

General discussion

My video card..

by pinkcows / July 11, 2005 4:43 AM PDT

I have a Dell dimension 3000, and I was told you could not change the video card in the computer. But, the other day my friend told me she was fairly certain you could. The video card is extremely bad, so I wanted to buy a new one, but I was wondering if it was possible. The computer is a p4, and it is 2.8ghz. I have 512MB ram. Also, I am running Windows XP Home. I'm not sure if any of that matters whatsoever.

Now on to the video card itself:
Card name: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller
DAC type: Internal
Display Memory: 96.0 MB

I thought I was told in the first place that it wasn't possible to change it because it was attached to the motherboard or something like that (if that's even possible, I don't know much about the insides of a computer).

So, if anyone knows whether or not it's possible to get a better card I'd appreciate the info Happy Also, if I haven't included enough information, let me know and I can add it... if I know how to find it Wink

Thanks!:)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My video card..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My video card..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
OEM video
by Willy / July 11, 2005 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My video card..

You have an "intergrated video port" which means its part of the mtrbd.. You need to visit Dell support and under your model# find any video upgrade path/option. If one is availble from Dell, more than likely then just about any PCI type video card will be better than what you now have. However, if no such upgrade path, then conisder that the bios which has to "disable" the current video port needs to be done in order to install any new video card. If no such disabling feature, then you're only hope is the system will "automatically" disable and allow the new card to install, but that's *NOT* a given.

On another note, you could possibly still use the current and new video card, together as a "multiple display" system, but try that as a last resort. Your system can see either dual display or one elongated display, you can pan as if on a much larger screen. Also, the new video card should support such a feature.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the info..
by pinkcows / July 11, 2005 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: OEM video

Just one more question.. would I have to purchase a new video card from Dell? Also, if I brought it to a computer shop and asked for them to install the video card, would they know what to do to make it work? Or, would they just install it and leave me to fend for myself?

Thanks again! I didn't expect such a swift reply! Happy

Collapse -
video card
by byker49 / July 11, 2005 6:51 AM PDT

Your card is intergrated into your motherboard.

To upgrade the card you would simply disable your integrated card and install your new card.

Collapse -
Two possibilities
by Yew / July 11, 2005 7:44 AM PDT

As stated, you've got a crappy integrated video chipset. SOME Dell systems come with an AGP slot (it'll be brown in color), and if that's the case, you're set. Otherwise, you're looking at a PCI video card, which is getting harder and harder to find.

These cards can be purchased from anyone, not just Dell. A PCI video card is pretty much the same no matter who you buy it from. Just make sure it's plain PCI, not PCI-X or PCI-E, which are completely different.

You just slap it in, disable the onboard one in the CMOS, install the drivers, and away you go.

Collapse -
Yay!
by pinkcows / July 11, 2005 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Two possibilities

Thank you to everyone. I'm not sure I'd know what to look for, so if I told a computer person I wanted a better card and told them what I was looking for in a card, and I told them my situation, would they be able to help me?

Collapse -
Plain PCI video upgrade
by Willy / July 11, 2005 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Yay!

I googled for some info and found your system has no AGP or PCI-e slots. You need a PCI(plain) video card as your upgrade path. Further, as to the salesperson/tech helping you, alot is in the air. Hopefully, they got a handle on things, but explain you want a PCI video card. As for ram on the card, 64mb is basic, but finding a 128mb is much better and anything above that is up to your pocketbook.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
One more question.. I promise!
by pinkcows / July 13, 2005 2:42 AM PDT

I was just wondering if this card would work in the computer: PowerColor Radeon 9250 / 256MB DDR / PCI / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

The link is.. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1081946&CatId=0

I'm just looking around, because it would be easier if I could pick out the card first, I guess. I have a feeling it won't work. By the way, is that a normal price for the card? Is it not very good? It doesn't seem too expensive.

Thanks Grin

- Erica

Collapse -
it's good
by angryfirelord / July 13, 2005 4:23 AM PDT

In a similar price range, you have the Radeon 9250 and the nvidia GeForce FX 5200. The 5200 has DirectX 9 and the Radeon has DirectX 8.1. Despite this, the Radeon still manages to creep ahead, even in DirectX 9 games.

For 2D work, Radeons tend to be better because they output brighter images. If you are gaming, it will handle mostly everything at 800x600.

The card will work on your system. However, you are limited to only PCI cards because budget Intel motherboards cut AGP to save money.

But I think you will be happy with it.

Collapse -
After thought..
by pinkcows / July 11, 2005 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Two possibilities

If I put in another card, would that cancel the warranty?

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 11, 2005 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: After thought..
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~section=010

WE DO NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY BEYOND THE REMEDIES PROVIDED FOR IN THIS LIMITED WARRANTY OR FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LIABILITY FOR THIRD-PARTY CLAIMS AGAINST YOU FOR DAMAGES, FOR PRODUCTS NOT BEING AVAILABLE FOR USE, OR FOR LOST DATA OR LOST SOFTWARE. OUR LIABILITY WILL BE NO MORE THAN THE AMOUNT YOU PAID FOR THE PRODUCT THAT IS THE SUBJECT OF A CLAIM. THIS IS THE MAXIMUM AMOUNT FOR WHICH WE ARE RESPONSIBLE.

SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.