Speakeasy forum

General discussion

My "Vehicle Warranty Protection Expires"

by Angeline Booher / March 4, 2007 3:33 AM PST

I am at risk for a major repair.

But I can call an 800 number for an exclusive free wear and tear protection program. To re-establish the protection. But I had to do that within 72 hours, which has passed.)

So said a card I got in the mail.

I drive a 1988 Corolla.

Reminded me of the emails and phone calls I get that start out with, "About your mortgage", which I no longer have.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My "Vehicle Warranty Protection Expires"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My "Vehicle Warranty Protection Expires"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First...can you extend the warrantee thru Toyota? Second...
by Jack Ammann / March 4, 2007 4:26 AM PST

...go to http://www.consumerreports.org and look up Vehicle extended warranties for the highest rated program. This all presumes you want to keep the car and want some more warranty.

Collapse -
...and further, go to Toyota and ask them...
by Jack Ammann / March 4, 2007 4:40 AM PST

...which extended warranty they like best.

Collapse -
Thanks, Jack.

But I think the "notice" was a come on to sell some sort of an extended warranty. And the "free" bit was a carrot to dangle.

I doubt if a car that is almost 20 years old qualifies for any sort of warranty, except for any work done by a mechanic at my dealership.

In other words, I think it was just a come on. If there was any such warranty extension, the cost would have to be much more than the book value of the car. I just thought the notice was funny considering the age of my car. Happy

As I said, it's like those notices I get about "my mortgage", which I haven't had for over 10 years.

I really do appreciate your input, Jack. Nice of you to take the time.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
contact tony holmes
by Mark5019 / March 4, 2007 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks, Jack.

hes a master meck for toyota

Collapse -
Ange was right......
by Tony Holmes / March 4, 2007 7:38 PM PST
In reply to: contact tony holmes

it's computer generated nonsense Happy

Collapse -
...but the "$64" questions are: :...
by Jack Ammann / March 4, 2007 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Ange was right......

...if she wants an extended warranty, will Toyota sell her one? And if not, what after market company does Toyota recommend? ie. and that Toyota likes as a company and likes to do business with?

Collapse -
The most generous warranty you will get...
by Tony Holmes / March 4, 2007 10:13 PM PST

from Toyota is 7yrs-100K miles http://www.warrantiestoyota.com/ and you have to be careful of any aftermarket equipment you install on the vehicle,it could void the entire warranty,regardless of age/mileage.

The Tundra is a prime example,it has "crush zones" built into the frame on the front end to protect passengers in a high speed frontal impact.If an owner decides to put a snow plow on this truck,he's just screwed himself.Installation of a plow frame reinforces the crush zones,Toyota will red flag the entire truck for that.Plus you have the added bonus of air bags blowing off in your face when you hit a hidden obstacle with the plow.

Toyota doesn't make any money from extended warranties,it's mostly for customer loyalty and they don't recommend any after market companies.After market companies make their money from the premiums they charge.I imagine you could get a policy on a car of Ange's age but you'd pay more than the car's worth for a policy.

Collapse -
A little off subject of the extended Toyota warranty...
by John Robie / March 4, 2007 10:53 PM PST

but, a good while back, I recall some posts being discussed with you concerning the damage of engines as a result of timing belt failures.
I believe you had mentioned certain engines would float the valves and cause them to hit the pistons when the belt broke and other certain engines would not be damaged if the belt broke. As a regular maintenance, my daughter-in-law, has had the timing belt changed on her Toyota Avalon twice, since it has close to 150,000 miles, at a cost of several hundred dollars each at the dealer.

We are considering purchasing a 07 Camry or Tundra PU. Noticed the 4cyl
Camry has chain drive timing, (like my F150 Ford V8 PU), but the Camry V6, along with the Tundra V6 & V8, have the rubberized timing belt. Do you happen to know if any of these belt driven on the Camry or Tundra will float the valves doing damage if they break? Also, is it 90,000 miles or 60,000 miles that the belt should be changed, and how many 100's of dollars does it cost to change at the dealer?

Collapse -
Belts and chains for '07......
by Tony Holmes / March 6, 2007 7:46 AM PST

Correct,the Camry 4cyl has a chain as well as the Camry 6cyl.

For '07 the Camry uses the 272hp V6 from the Avalon(chain) which is also available as an option on the Rav4.The Rav4 V6 is the fastest vehicle Toyota makes,it's a sleeper Happy

The Tundra has 3 engines,the 4L V6,4.7L V8 and the 5.7L(401hp)V8.

The 5.7L has a chain,the 4.7L has a t/belt and will bend all 32 valves if the belt breaks.The 4L V6 has a t/belt also but I'm not sure about broken belt clearance on it.Extended warranties make sense on these engines.

The belt change interval has gone up to 90K,the chain engines should go indefinitely with regular oil changes.

None of us have worked on the new engines as yet.On the '06s we got 3.5 hrs for a V6 belt and 4.5 hrs for a V8 belt,regardless of the vehicle.Enter your local labor rate on the calculator and you should have a close idea of the cost.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Tony for the good info.
by John Robie / March 6, 2007 10:59 AM PST
Collapse -
"the added bonus of air bags
by drpruner / March 6, 2007 6:48 AM PST

blowing off in your face when you hit a hidden obstacle with the plow."

Wow! I hadn't thought of that! I wonder how snow areas (including NM) get away with putting plows on every available vehicle just before winter. (That really helps the fast response we get here.)
I'll try to track down a NMDOT person and ask.

Collapse -
Re: Warranty renewal
by John Robie / March 4, 2007 10:28 PM PST

Yeah, we have also received those extended warranties, which like Tony says is computer generated nonsense. I would hardly think any company would extended a warranty on an auto that is 19 years old and probably over 100,000 miles. That is when trouble with parts wearing out, like the transmission, piston rings, valves, suspension, etc... so the premium on any company that would extend a warranty would be so high that the payment would exceed the current value of the auto. Think how hard it is to get life insurance when over 70 years old and if passing the physical, what the premium would be.

Also, it's something like the economics of full auto insurance being kept on old autos other than liability.

BTW, the Toyota Corolla & Camry has for many years has been one of the best if not the best autos for reliability according to Consumers Reports and other magazines.
One of our vehicles is also 19 years old and we will be buying either a Camry or a Tundra pickup made right here in San Antonio. The wife loves driving a pickup, but it will cost a little more than the Camry. Also, after adding the extras to a Corolla that come standard equipped with the Camrym, the 4 cyl Camry is only slightly more in cost than the Corolla.

Depending on what we buy, we rarely ever get an extended warranty on anything, and have never bought an extended warranty on all the new autos, trucks we have purchased in the past. We didn't even get an extended warranty on our free 42" Plasma TV the wife won.

I get the feeling you also think them sending you that mail is ridiculous.

Collapse -
(NT) 1988?? That is stretching it. :-)
by drpruner / March 5, 2007 7:02 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I hate scams in any form or preying on the gluttable
by Willy / March 5, 2007 9:58 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?