PC Hardware forum

My USB stick is not recognized by any computer?

by xiwner55 / November 2, 2014 6:37 PM PST

Recently i have been experiencing a lot of issues concerning my USB stick. I can't tell you exactly what it is, but it looks exactly like this one:

(I don't know if this would help but I'm showing you nonetheless)

The problem is that no PC recognizes the USB stick, while i have used it many times before. I have tried plugging it in 3 computers now: Mine, my stephdad's and my schools computers. Because of this, I guess the problem is the USB stick itself, but I have no idea how, and wheter it's broken or not. I have not damaged it or mistreated it. It has been in my jeans' pocket for a month or two now (not while washing, ofcouse) and like I said, it worked perfectly until a couple of days ago.

I was wondering if you guys could help me in any way to fix this problem, as it sucks really hard; I've got many important files on it.

Any ideas on what could be the problem/how it could be fixed?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My USB stick is not recognized by any computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My USB stick is not recognized by any computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: USB-stick
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 2, 2014 6:55 PM PST

USB sticks are nice to move data between PC's and for a quick backup. Certainly not as the only place to store important files on. In fact, nothing is usable as the only pace to store important files on. You need at least the original on your internal hard disk and one copy (called a 'backup') on some other device, preferably more.

That being said, it's time to call a data recovery company and ask them an estimate how much it will cost to get your important files back. It mgiht well be that you find they aren't important enough to pay what they ask for it and decide to accept the loss.

Collapse -
Common to happen
by Willy / November 3, 2014 3:46 AM PST

When a flash drive decides to go kaput, it rarely allows you to recover. You stated you have important files and yet tried on 3 PCs suggests the drive is bad. You can try recovery s/w but if the drive isn't being acknowledged, real damage is very possible. One real source of damage is "ESD/static discharge", it needn't be high voltage either, typical ESD is way above 5VDC so ESD can overwhelm it.

Google recovery s/w, try Rescuva or PCInspector, both free or to try at least and check results. Again, if you can't see the drive, it maybe already too late. Sometimes, you can boot into Linux, then try to access data on the flash drive, copy to another source. You can aslo checkout, the Hiren's Help CD and try all its resources, burn to disc.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
If you can pop it open
by James Denison / November 3, 2014 5:25 AM PST

you can check to see if a solder joint came loose due to use plugging and unplugging.

Collapse -
Notice the small pads in the video?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2014 7:28 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?