General discussion

My usb ports are not recognized...

when ever I do a computer restart from the Taskbar.
I have my Epson printer plugged into one of the usb ports and it comes up "printer not ready"
If I cycle the power on the printer it comes back ok.
If I do a "hard" restart using the power button on the front of the tower they function ok.
My local computer tech just formatted my HD but the problem is still there....
I have an intell core 2 and XP pro operating system with AVG as an anti-virus.
Any suggestions???

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My usb ports are not recognized...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My usb ports are not recognized...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: usb ports

I've got my printer always powered off, until I need to print something. Than I turn it on and it is recognized. Also, I hardly ever, restart from the taskbar. I just shut down if I don't need to use it anymore and turn it on again when I need. No need for a restart except in exceptional cases.

So I wouldn't have those problems even with your hardware. And I don't think you've got any problem if you just turn the printer off after using it, and on again when you start printing. Which seems a quite normal way to me to handle it.

Anyway, you forgot to tell what your local computer tech did after he formatted the HD. Formatting has only one result: an empty partition with nothing on it. And from your post I understand he put Windows and AVG on it, and maybe more?

It seems to be the way it works. Things that might be tried if you want to solve it:
- install latest version of motherboard drivers
- install latest version of printer driver
- try front USB in stead of back USB or the other way around
- try if another printer behaves differently
- try a powered USB-hub in between
- try a separate USB-card

Personally, I wouldn't care if your printer is your only problem. It would be different if your USB-mouse and USB-keyboard wouldn't work either after a restart. But even then, probably I would be accept having to do a shut down in stead of a restart.

Kees

- Collapse -
(NT) The printer is not the only problem...
- Collapse -
The printer is not the only problem..

I also have an extrnal DAC for compuiter audio that does not get recognized on start up.
Another symptom that occurs sometimes but not always is that when starting up from the task bar or tray the computer will get stuck at the "Asus" splash screen and just hang there. I have tried different usb ports on the back but not ont he front of the computer for the printer with the same result.
Yes,the tech re-installed XP,AVG,MS office and a folder with some data(pictures) saved before the format.

Thanks for the response!!!

- Collapse -
So maybe ...

the tech forgot to install the right motherboard drivers for the USB. Did you give him the disk with the drivers that came with the motherboard (or the whole PC)?

Why not call the tech and say you still have a problem. If it's a problem you didn't have before he reinstalled, he should finish the job in stead of doing it only partially.

Kees

- Collapse -
I have never taken ...

the mother board disc with me whenever having service done to the computer..
I have been to 3 different local techs for diffierent issues(still can't find one I am confident in!!)and none of the techs have asked for it either so I assumeed that is wasn't required?
The computer is a couple of years old now so maybe there are updated drivers in the web available?
I was planning to drop the comp. off after work again.
I know that it's not a huge problem but I would like to get it fixed properly...

- Collapse -
(NT) Then better take that disk with you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info