Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My update regarding SpyCatcher Express

by TONI H / March 19, 2006 9:46 PM PST

Both my sister and I have discovered that the only way to get the program to run correctly and not interfere without options given to allowing other activites to happen is to install the SpyCatcher Express, run it, remove the bad stuff it finds, then uninstall it again for a while. Then reinstall it, run it, and uninstall it again.

I've had it pop up messages stating that it had stopped some type of internet activity from happening, including active x controls for good, known sites I've previously gone to (including MS Update Center). There is never an identification of what it stopped....just the pop up window stating it stopped it, so there is also nowhere within the SpyCatcher program after the fact that lists what it stopped so you have no option to allow it.

Needless to say, although I invited the author of the program via email to enter my previous thread about their program to explain some of the issues others have had with it, I got an automated email response and nothing further even though I emailed the author a second time explaining some of the issues I wanted clarified.

Also...I could not get the scheduler for the program to run automatically. It would set the day and time, but nothing would happen and I would have to manually run the scan each time.

Just a heads up that it appears that the author has no interest in getting you any tech support for their free version whatsoever...including giving explanations regarding issues that are otherwise unable to be explained even using the help file that comes with it. I have no clue what their response would be for the paid-for version of the program, but I have no confidence in the free one, so therefore, it goes without saying that I wouldn't waste my money to upgrade to a 'better' one when the free one is so full of bugs with no obvious workarounds.

Steer clear.......The program may find bad guys that other programs don't find, but the other problems encountered with it hardly makes it worth the effort if you have to uninstall and reinstall all the time just to use it. And according to the program itself, there is a warning that anything it has already removed will return once you uninstall (which, in my opinion, if something is REMOVED and not quarantined, it should be GONE, right?), so you're caught between a rock and a hard place with it no matter what you do.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My update regarding SpyCatcher Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My update regarding SpyCatcher Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toni
by tomron / March 19, 2006 10:17 PM PST

I forgot about this,but since you reminded me,i remember that i already gave up on this unstable program,reasons being,the issues the members and myself had experienced,not to mention the difficulty you had in communicating with the author.There are certainly some red flags with this program.Nice heads up.

Tom

Collapse -
Those many reasons are probably
by roddy32 / March 19, 2006 11:04 PM PST

why it has never been on the recommended program list by either Eric Howes or any of the other expert lists I have seen Toni. Also, as far as the bad guys that it finds that the others miss, those are more than likely false positives anyway.

Collapse -
Surprisingly
by TONI H / March 20, 2006 1:05 AM PST

the only way I even knew about this program was because it was recommended by pcmag in two month's ago issue. Thought I would give it a whirl and have been sorely disappointed in its performance.

TONI

Collapse -
The program has been around for a long
by roddy32 / March 20, 2006 1:23 AM PST
In reply to: Surprisingly

time though and I'm rather surprised that Eric Howe's has never tested it. He is busy though, maybe that is why.

Collapse -
But it was NOT one of
by Ray Harinec / March 20, 2006 2:17 AM PST
In reply to: Surprisingly

the PC Mag's choices. I bought one of the choices and it works fine. LOL

Really do wonder if yours really found those items or just put there there so it could remove them. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) False Pos. Just to Goad to Pay Version. Well Rid Of!!
by tobeach / March 20, 2006 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: But it was NOT one of
Collapse -
Yes it was
by TONI H / March 20, 2006 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: But it was NOT one of

February 21, 2006 issue by Sarah Pike. The SpyCatcher 2006 was given three and a half on a rating of 1-5 with the following comment at the end of the review:

"You can get started with SpyCatcher by trying Tenebril's free Express version, which offers almost all of the full version's features."

I tried the free version and asked about it here to get feedback....I wasn't recommending it until I had more personal experience with the program and found I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

Which program did you purchase?

TONI

Collapse -
Did you ask for the time???
by Ray Harinec / March 21, 2006 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: Yes it was

The one that you selected WAS NOT one of the two picked by PC Mag as their choice. This writer thoroughly read each and every one of the reviews and narrowed this writers choice to boil down to one of the two PC Mag top choices. This writer then elected Spyware Doctor based on the fact that it was made by PC Tools. I have had PC Tools Registry Mechanic for quite a while. I run it infrequently and delete whatever it lists with no regard for what items that they are.

However, I do not believe that any company's Programs for detecting and repairing computer problems are even close to being any good. They all seem to create as amany problems as they correct. Wonder if your antispyware detected problems that it created.

Shortly after buying Spyware Doctor, I read another magazine's review which said that they were very disappointed with it.

I haven't the slightest idea whether or not Spyware Doctor is any good. Doesn't seem to find much, but, then again, this writer does not go anywhere on the internet likely to cause problems. In fact, it is tough to justify this writer's owner ship of a computer. Only have one because I wanted to learn how to build one. Also this writer hates to use the perpendicular pronoun. LOL

BTW it's 3:38 pm in Greentown, Pennsylvania now.

Collapse -
I can actually argue with you
by TONI H / March 21, 2006 5:31 AM PST

over nitpicking things because we are friends and know each other personally...not a luxury for most members. lol

First....what does the TIME have to do with anything?

Second....you are insinuating that I didn't bother to read any of the rest of the article. I read all of the various reviews made, and decided to try out the one that you decided NOT to try, only because I hadn't heard of it before that article. I've, over the years, found many hidden jewels doing that....unfortunately, this program wasn't one of them.

There are many programs that I use on a regular basis that most people have never heard of and when you and I discuss some of them, you can't find any rhyme or reason why anybody would want the information I get from them. lol

You are a dear and a valued friend....I just won't ask you for the time (I just finally got that....based on our phone conversation last night LOL)

For those of you who don't 'get it'....Ray is very technically minded and oriented and I found a passage in a novel I'm reading about a submarine war that fit my description of him perfectly. I can't tell you how many times I've asked what I thought was a 'simple' question and got a dissertation.......

"Don't ever ask our Engineer the time"

"Why not?"

"Because he'll build you a freaking watch"

It's hard to actually get Ray to laugh out loud where you just KNOW he's appreciated the humor.....that passage from the book tickled his funny bone. It was good to hear the laughter.......

TONI

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I Got a Pretty Good Chuckle Too! Thanks, I Needed That!
by tobeach / March 22, 2006 5:12 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!