General discussion

My turntable is just not loud enough.

by stevensimon10482 / July 22, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

I'm no expert . . . so here goes.

I have the following mix/match system that I've scrapped together:

Pioneer PD201 CD Player
Sony STR DE183 High Power Amp/Tuner
Technics SL B10 Turntable

When I initially connected my turntable to the amplifier, the sound was basically not amplified at all, so I had to connect a pre-amp to the turntable and then run that through the amplifier.

I disconnected the system the other day and moved it, and when I put it back together, it was as though there was no pre-amp attached, though I've configured it the same.

I'm running the turntable into "in" on the pre-amp, the "out" preamp into the "in" on Video 1 (auxilliary, basically) on my amplifier. It's very quiet compared to my CD player. And of course the more I turn it up the more it hums, which I guess is a different issue. (What should I be connecting the groundwire to to reduce the hum? Right now it's hooked to an amp screw.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My turntable is just not loud enough.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My turntable is just not loud enough.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I had to connect a pre-amp to the turntable
by jcrobso / July 22, 2005 6:00 AM PDT

What kind of preamp??? Dose it have RIAA equlazation???
What kind of cartridge do you have???
In most cases it will not be as loud as your CD player. John

Collapse -
line level vs phono level...old school time
by grimgraphix / July 23, 2005 12:33 AM PDT

on older and some new but more expensive receivers you would find a PHONO input which is designed to take the low powered phonograph signal and amplify it properly. Most less expensive receivers need a preamp amplifier between the turntable and the LINE level (read cd, tape, or av input - all this equipment puts out a more pwerful signal to the amp) input. It sounds like your on the right track but are having a problem with the preamp and the ground which all goes back to the preamp you are using.

Are you grounding the turntable to the receiver or the preamp ?

Do you need to turn up the volume on the preamp to affect the line level output ?

Are you using a grounded outlet to hook up all your equipment.

Lastly, do other outlets have the same effect ie. is the problem with your set up or with the power source. A bad appliance can feed back through a powerline and interfere with audio equipment. You can get a surge protector with line filters to take out some of this interference but ironicly another source for this is simply a signal wire laying next to a power wire...arrange your wires so that signal wires and power wires are at least 6 inches apart and if they have to cross make sure they cross at right angles to minimize contact and thus minimize emf interference.

Good Luck

grim

grimgraphix.com

Collapse -
Preamp
by stevensimon10482 / July 26, 2005 7:46 AM PDT

Well, the groundwire connects to the turntable right now.

And regarding the preamp, it's just a very basic $20 thing that has no volume adjustment or anything. So I'm running the turntable through that to the ''Video'' input on the amplifier.

Can anyone suggest a good preamp that won't cost me an arm and/or leg?

Collapse -
try the evil radio shack
by grimgraphix / July 26, 2005 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Preamp

only amp/preamp I'm aware of is a unit from radioshack that is probably around $ 50 us...another solution is to find a receiver with phono input on it and I should also point out you can buy a cheap turntable with a preamp built into it nowadays as well. I will admit the Technics turntable rocks though...my SL-D2 direct drive still works after 27 years.

BTW the ground wire coming out of the turn table should connect to the chassis of the amplifier.

grim

Collapse -
phono pre
by bent / July 25, 2005 5:59 AM PDT

If your Sony doesn't have a "Phono" input for the player, ideally you should be using a dedicated phono preamp (something like the Project phono box works well). This will have a grounding lug on the back along with RCA ins and outs. If you're determined to use the preamp you have, try it with the table's groundwire disconnected and if it still hums, connect the ground wire to a chassis screw on the preamp.

Unless your receiver has adjustable input levels, the turntable will likely have less volume.

Collapse -
What Kind Of Cartridge Are You Using...Moving Coils.....
by Psych Doc / July 26, 2005 2:05 PM PDT

....Generally require a step up amp of some sore as they put out only a fraction of the output of moving magnets or moving irons. If you play one through a preamp set up to take the input of a moving magnet or moving iron, it will sound way too soft.

(BTW, the "trade off" in using a moving coil is that they almost always sound "faster" and more detailed, with a better top end than their moving moagnet/moving iron cousins)

Collapse -
here is another alternative
by grimgraphix / July 26, 2005 2:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks
by stevensimon10482 / July 27, 2005 5:00 AM PDT

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Collapse -
Simple Plug and Go Option for Turntables + Amplifiers
by soundadditions / April 1, 2009 1:41 PM PDT

A really inexpensive option to increase sound without distorting it is the KORORA RIAA Phono Stage Amplifier: http://soundadditions.com/korora.html

It has a Built in recharge circuits and high performance Ni-MH batteries, RCA input and output.

Check out the Input Resistance & Capacitance on their site for more info.

worked for me... good luck!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.