Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

My Tracked Discussions. I bit the bullet!

by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 15, 2008 7:56 PM PST

Well, I did it. I accessed "My tracked discussions".

I have been fearful of this day for some time as I haven't accessed the page for nearly a year. I had 912 entries! My CPU usage hit 150%, my 2.0GB RAM was all used up, my browser started smoking, and the vertical scroll bar in the browser was so narrow I needed a magnifying glass to find it. Devil

I have just spent the whole of the day ticking the threads I no longer want to subscribe to. I could have been playing golf, or climbing Mount Everest, or watching The Simpsons repeats on Sky1.

Now, I know you are all going to say to me something like, "it's your own fault", or "housekeeping, housekeeping!", or similar, and I know all that. I accept I have been very lazy, and I am suitably ashamed of myself.

But because I am such a busy person, (or read, "because laziness is enshrined in my psyche"), I do not regularly check "My tracked discussions". I wonder if I should use Dango's method, "This thread untracked"?

What I would really like, and what I have asked for in the past but my pathetic pleas have fallen on deaf ears, is for that page to have a button to select all threads, at one click of the mouse. Then, all I have to do is de-select the latest ones, and perhaps scroll through the list to de-select any others that may be of interest to me.

Lee? Not to put any pressure on you of course, but you are my last hope.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Tracked Discussions. I bit the bullet!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Tracked Discussions. I bit the bullet!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check you list monthly,
by PudgyOne / November 16, 2008 12:32 PM PST

I usually do. You could be climbing Mount Everest, not in your neighborhood, unless you are traveling. What would be so exciting about doing that?

As for playing golf, I only know how to play miniature golf. I never had any real interest in learning the real game.

I love cartoons! I prefer the Road Runner and Wile E Coyote, Foghorn Leghorn, Bugs Bunny and the gang, but they don't show those great cartoons anymore.

The Dango method isn't a great way to do this. I usually uncheck them as they get solved and then check the other posts as well. If no response after a certain amount of time, I unsubscribe. Each post you see that looks like it's solved, you'll see the word tracked on the post at the top and bottom, so there's no excuse! Maybe you should get a secretary to unsubscribe your posts for you Wink

I do agree, a select all button would be nice. Mark, have a nice day! Wink

Collapse -
Yeah, thanks for that Rick.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 6:53 PM PST

It's not that I don't know what to do, and when to do it, it's just that I find moving my mouse over to the left to that "My tracked discussions" link extremely difficult.

I think I have a phobia.

By the way, when I said I could have been playing golf, I meant the golf games you find on the internet! Happy

Now, a secretary... That sounds an interesting idea.

Collapse -
by John.Wilkinson / November 17, 2008 3:29 AM PST

I would love to see a "Select All' option or, better yet, an option to select all threads older than XX days/months/years or without replies for that long. (That might help me evict those 3-year-olds. Yes, I have those.) Dust off that wish list for one more addition, Lee?

This thread is untracked. By reading this response you agree not to hold me responsible for responding to any future responses, reading any future responses, or even acknowledging the existence of a response to any post by any party. Grin

Collapse -
Does that mean..
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Ditto...

I can swear at you and call you names?

Collapse -
by PudgyOne / November 17, 2008 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Does that mean..

John will write you a css file to do that or maybe a macro.

Collapse -
(NT) :~)
by John.Wilkinson / November 17, 2008 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?