Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

My tracked discussion notifier

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 8, 2007 1:17 AM PST
My tracked discussion notifier FAQs

Whoa, what in the world did I just see in my browser while browsing the forums?! Before you go off reporting a UFO in your browser or notifying me of a pop-up ad in the CNET forums, I want to introduce you to a new forum feature called "My tracked discussion notifier."

So, what does this new feature do? While you are surfing the CNET forums, this notifier will appear in your browser window and notify you of any new messages that have been posted to the discussions you are currently tracking--so you can quickly link right to those new posts and read them.

Below are some FAQs to better explain what it is and what it is for, so read up! We truly hope you enjoy this experience as much as we enjoyed putting it together for you.

Q: When will I see the notifier?

A: A few criteria must be met for you to see the notifier in action.
1. You must be logged into the forums.
2. You must have tracked discussions.
3. You must be on a CNET forum page (this feature is exclusive to the forums).
4. The notifier will only appear if one or more of your tracked discussion(s) is updated with new content. If no new posts are added to your tracked discussion, the notifier will stay dormant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: How often will the notifier show up?

A: Once you are notified of new content in one or more of your tracked discussions, the notifier will notify you every minute until you have read the new content. Once you have read the new content in the discussions, the notifier will not display again until one of your tracked discussions receives new content again.

Q: How do I turn the notifier off?

A: To turn this notifier on or off, simply go to your forums preference page and select "on/off" and click the "Save preference" button.

Q: Will I still receive notifications by e-mail of new posts I am currently tracking?

A: Absolutely! In conjunction with this new feature, you will still receive e-mail notifications of new posts in your tracked discussions--nothing has changed there. This feature is an additional way for you to get notified of new content while you are browsing the forums.

Q: How can I keep the notifier window from fading away?

A: Simply hover your mouse pointer over the notifier window and the notifier will stay in place while you read it. To close this window, you can either click the Close link or simply just move the mouse pointer away from the notifier window, and it will fade out on its own.

Q: Where do the subject lines link to in the notifier?

A: While the subject line in the notifier does display the discussion thread you are currently tracking, clicking on it will take you directly to the post that was recently added to that discussion thread.

Q: Will this notifier show up on other CNET sites besides the forums?

A: Unfortunately, no. This notifier feature is only available when you are browsing the CNET forums; however I won't rule out the possibility of it showing up in other CNET sites in the future. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My tracked discussion notifier
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My tracked discussion notifier
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
thank you
by ajaypanthri / May 23, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

thats amazing thank you for this

Collapse -
self post notification
by tomron / May 23, 2007 11:05 PM PDT

It works the same as notifications by e-mail,that is one will be notified of a new post by the member who posted it.

That is the only annoying thing when I post and then am notified via e-mail or tracked discussion notifier.

Collapse -
One request, Lee...
by John.Wilkinson / May 24, 2007 1:57 AM PDT

Would it be possible to have either the e-mail or the notifier sound the alarm, not both. When we're in the forums and the notifier let us know of the new reply there's no need to receive an e-mail stating the same thing moments later. Perhaps an option for this on a member-by-member basis?

John

Collapse -
Thanks
by Owyn / May 26, 2007 1:22 AM PDT

Handy when I on the forum. A touch annoying when I have just posted a reply and it notifies me of my own reply.

On balance, I will leave the function enabled.

Collapse -
It shouldn't do that
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I may be wrong, but it shouldn't display your own posts, only replies to discussions that you have tracked.

It should be the same as email notifications, we don't receive emails about our own posts, but we do for discussions we are tracking.

If that has happened to you then it may be a glitch.

Mark

Collapse -
It shouldn't do that,but it does
by tomron / May 26, 2007 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: It shouldn't do that

I've noticed this also with "My tracked discussion notifier" as well as the e-mail notification.

In fact I've addressed the issue about being notified via e-mail regarding my own posts in feedback in the past.

Tom

Collapse -
Well...
by Owyn / May 27, 2007 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: It shouldn't do that

I think it may be replies to tracked threads. But, I tend to set track on for any threads I participate in.

Collapse -
(NT) e.g. I just got nofified about the previous post.
by Owyn / May 27, 2007 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...
Collapse -
Hmmm....
by Owyn / May 27, 2007 1:52 AM PDT

Notification does not occur in I return to the topic instead of returning to the forum (my normal action).

Collapse -
Also occurs if...
by Owyn / May 27, 2007 2:23 AM PDT

I just stay on the "Your Post has been submitted" page.

Collapse -
Very strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2007 7:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Also occurs if...

Not one I've noticed, but I'm sure Lee will look into it.

He'll "add it to his list" of things to mend, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
Proabably just another symptom of...
by Owyn / May 27, 2007 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Very strange

Topics being marke4 with the red, unread posts, button immediately after you post a reply.

Collapse -
keep getting page not found
by tomron / June 5, 2007 8:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
try this link
by daniel hobbs / June 5, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
daniel hobbs
by tomron / June 5, 2007 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: try this link

Like I said in my post,"I know that this option can be changed in Forum preferences,but every time I click on change preferences within the notifier I get page not found"

I'm aware the Forum Preferences is located at the left hand navigation area.

I'm talking about the pop up notifier.When I click on the "change preferences" link I get "page not found",I'm not having difficulty finding how to change Forum Preferences.

Thanx,
Tom

Collapse -
It's a broken link...
by John.Wilkinson / June 5, 2007 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: try this link

Dan,

It's a broken link. When the tracked thread notifier appears it includes a link to change your forum preferences, but that link goes to http://forums.cnet.com/7709-6035-0.html/?tag=notifier (a non-existent page), whereas it should be http://forums.cnet.com/7709-6035_102-0.html. The URL isn't complete.

Anyway, would it be possible to add a check such that if you have enabled the notifier and are in the forums the system won't send out the e-mail notification? It can be a bit annoying to be notified, view the new post, and then 5-10 minutes later hear 'You've Got Mail' concerning the same submission.

Thanks.
John

Collapse -
John
by tomron / June 5, 2007 2:34 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a broken link...

As you are already aware of the only way to stop this is to click within the pop-up and read the post,or disable it,I opted for the later.

As Popeye said,"I can't stanz no more" Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.