Question

My TP Link Wifi Range Repeater Keeps Locking Up..Help Needed

Hello Everyone.

I purchased my wifi range repeater TP Link TL-WR700N a few months ago, and I have been having this problem every few hours ever since..but didn't really have time to post a question about this.

Currently, I have the main router, which is SMC SMCD3GN from Rogers in Canada, and I have heard from MANY people that this router REALLY sucks..especially the range. And I myself also had problem with low signal in the 2nd floor of my house, so I purchased the wifi repeater (TP Link) to extend the range. I followed the guide given in the box, and everything was set up flawlessly. However, after a few hours of use, all my devices (laptop, tablet, phone) which are in the same room as the repeater decrease the signal again, to the point where it was before I purchased the repeater. Then if I disconnect the wifi and reconnect, the signal is full again. Sometimes I have to unplug the repeater from the wall and replug in order for it to work. This keeps going on, and I don't know how to fix it..

According to the review of the device, it is working perfectly for a lot of people, but on Newegg website, one person also mentioned it locking up. Maybe he/she and I set up similarly, which may be an incorrect way?

Please tell me if any of the following is causing the problem..

-I set the IP address of my main router and repeater different. One ending in 254, the other in 250.
-WPA Mode: Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK)
-Cipher Type: AES
The DHCP mode is disabled in the repeater as the instruction said it might interfere with the main router or something..I'm not really sure what DHCP is first of all..haha..

Anyway, please suggest any idea you have!

Thank you so much Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My TP Link Wifi Range Repeater Keeps Locking Up..Help Needed
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My TP Link Wifi Range Repeater Keeps Locking Up..Help Needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Only a few ideas.

See if the maker issued new firmware and if not, return it as defective.

The only thing I see is that WPA/WPA2 mode. Some units can't deal with that and while I have found setting it to WPA2 mode exclusively may help, it still points out a defect in the product.
Bob

- Collapse -
Hmm..

Thank you for your reply.

Not really the answer I wanted..as I said, I have had this repeater for a few months now, and the store I bought has a 14 day return policy.

I will try WPA2 mode first, and hopefully other people could also suggest me any idea they can think of..

Thanks.

CNET Forums