Dell forum

General discussion

my studio xps 9000 (435t) takes 3 hours to start up.... HELP

by frank_white / August 7, 2010 8:37 AM PDT

ok so maybe its only about 3 minutes. but still , 3 MINUTES? this seems like a insane amount of time when I have other dells in the office with w764 that take about a minute to start up to the w7 log in screen while mine takes 3 minutes.

And this has been the same since I first got it wish was about 6-7 months ago. I only usually shut down and restart 3 times a week but its becoming so annoying.

Are there other xps9000 owners that have experienced the same thing? Is this normal for having a machine like the 9000?

Let me know what you guys think please
thanks much in advance.

btw, more detailed specs

dell studio xps 435t
intel core i7 920 2.67ghz
4 gigs ram
w7 home premium 64bit os

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my studio xps 9000 (435t) takes 3 hours to start up.... HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my studio xps 9000 (435t) takes 3 hours to start up.... HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
studio xps 9000 slow start up.
by macheholder / August 7, 2010 11:00 AM PDT

Frank_ ,don't know what aps you have running on start up but if you have Windows Live Messenger this could be one of your slow start up problems if you are:- On the Messenger Sign In window ,first click on that blue question mark then Show Menu Bar(only if the menu bar is not shown) then ,left click on "Tools" then "Options" then "Sign In" clear check box "Automatically run Windows Live Messenger when I log on to Windows" >apply>OK
On start up Windows Live Messenger does take some time to start-up about a minute or so and with no indication so when your system reaches the start page [with Messenger starting in the back ground] and you try to open any aps you would now have a command issue for which the system tries to execute first this slows down any system after start up,if this doesn't work keep viewing other forum post you are not alone.

Collapse -
Boot to safe mode.
by Bob__B / August 7, 2010 10:50 PM PDT

Is that quick?

If so use msconfig/startup.....untick everything....reboot to normal mode.

If still quick....start reticking items a few at a time....see if you can find the source of the slow boot.

It might not be a single item but rather the total quantity of items your trying to load at startup.

Collapse -
slow boot
by frank_white / August 8, 2010 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Boot to safe mode.

hey guys, this is what I am running on start up

http://paperstreetmedia.com/running.jpg

and windows messenger is not one of those things.

Besides, wouldnt this only possibly slow down my widows log in, not my cpu start up. On a cpu start up, I didnt think programs could effect the start up. ?

"Is that quick?"
I didnt think it was quick. Based off the other computers in my office, which are windows 7 machines, dell also, they take like half the time. I will uncheck all my start up programs and try seeing if the speeds up the booting process. Will report back.

thanks

Collapse -
Same computer
by mopscare42 / August 8, 2010 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: slow boot

Only difference is I have 6 gig of tri channel ram and mine took 1 minute 21 seconds to get the desktop and I could navigate.
To get online and navigate the net was 1 minute 52 seconds. So if yours is 3 minutes that seems a little slow for that computer.
I see you have 3 entries in MSCONFIG start up of "Bitdefender" When I had XP and used that it was very slow on the start up.
Try removing the checks on those and see if that helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?