Speakeasy forum

General discussion

My solution to the immigration problem

by EdH / April 12, 2006 10:18 PM PDT

Annex Mexico! Or at least the northern provinces. Take it off their hands; let us run it,

This would make all the inhabitants US citizens so that problem goes away. US companies and developers could move in and invest, start factories, etc., so our booming economy could take over their crappy one. Lots of real estate to exploit, ditto workers.

As their economy imporoves they would add to the tax base and they would also have to follow US education guidelines which need to hbe modified to emphasize learning to speak English.

No need for anyone to come "here"; we will just go "there".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My solution to the immigration problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My solution to the immigration problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We all have our fantasy solutions
by Steven Haninger / April 12, 2006 10:41 PM PDT

It seems that if a major reason folks are leaving Mexico is related to government corruption...and we have set a precident in Iraq about such....that removing and replacing the leadership down there should be cakewalk. We might even be able to enlist a large number of illegals here in the US to assist. We'd get to see how sincere they really were, anyway.....Just another fantasy to add to yours.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Mexico can't be any more corrupt than LA
by duckman / April 13, 2006 7:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Who said anything about war?
by EdH / April 13, 2006 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, Ed,...

They would jump at the chance!

Why turn the US into Mexico? Obviously better to turn Mexico into the US.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We're not imperialists.
by caktus / April 13, 2006 1:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sure we are
by Diana Forum moderator / April 14, 2006 7:30 AM PDT

How do you think we got the SW?

Diana

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Were, not are
by duckman / April 14, 2006 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure we are
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) U.S. and England are the most imperialists countries
by tomron / April 18, 2006 2:49 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Were, not are
Collapse -
Which defintion do you prefer?
by Dragon / April 19, 2006 4:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) All of them
by tomron / April 19, 2006 9:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Which SW?
by caktus / April 18, 2006 6:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Imperialism is ok
by dirtyrich / April 18, 2006 10:39 AM PDT

a natural state of most successful nations. If anything, I'd say we need a little more of it.

Collapse -
It's not just Mexico, EdH!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 18, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

Those on the right always refer to the "non-Mexicans" as being a great security risk -- but the vast majority of those are from Central America, especially Nicauragua and Honduras, not Arab terrosists sneaking across, as is clearly implied.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I don't know...
by J. Vega / April 18, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

I don't know if you would put members of MS-13 from El Salvador under the heading of "security risk", but I personally wouldn't refer to them as seeking "the opportunity to make a better life for themselves here" to use the words you used in another thread about immigrants. Do you think that anyone who sneaks into the U.S. should be allowed to stay, or do you favor some sort of control on who enters? If the latter, then how would you yourself filter who is allowed to come in?

Collapse -
Clearly, anyone with a truly criminal past
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 18, 2006 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I don't know...

shouldn't be allow to stay -- regardless of whether they're mexican, Columbian Salvadoran, or Russian. I say "truly criminal" as I'm not Inspector Jauvert -- though there seems a lot of his attitude involved in the immigration debate.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
And if they come here illegally ...
by Evie / April 18, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

... we have NO way of knowing now do we!

Collapse -
All well and good, Dave...
by J. Vega / April 19, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

All well and good, Dave, but how do you weed out the undesirables crossing the border?
BTW, you've used that Inspector's name before in posts. Suggestion: It's "Javert".

Collapse -
RE: but the vast majority
by caktus / April 19, 2006 4:21 AM PDT

It wasn't a "vast majority" that pulled off 9/11.

Collapse -
Better idea?
by James Denison / April 18, 2006 5:09 PM PDT

We could solve two problems. Let's help lots of them get jobs in Arabic countries since they like hiring foreignors for menial labor and within a few generations all those countries will be Catholic instead of Muslim. Two problems solved.

Collapse -
BUSTED! finally something's being done
by James Denison / April 19, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

Slave wages making citizens compete against them or give up jobs in those sectors. They do steal jobs that other American would and did do before they came here undercutting the living wage, causing other employers to do the same in order to compete, all while the govt hasn't done enough to stop the job and wage erosion as illegals take away jobs from citizens which used to pay well enough they WERE willing to work them. Toss these selfish jobber into jail and make it cost them MORE to do business with illegals and it will bring this outrage to an end.
===================================
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/04/20/immigration.raids/index.html

Federal immigration authorities rounded up
more than 1,000 illegal immigrants at dozens of sites and charged nine
individuals of the firm that employed them, federal law enforcement
officials announced.
Seven current and former managers of IFCO Systems, which has offices in
several states, were arrested and charged in connection with the employment of
illegal immigrants, said U.S. Attorney Glenn Suddaby in Albany, New York.
Suddaby said two lower level employees were also charged in the case.
Wednesday's action against IFCO Systems -- an industry leader in the
manufacture of wooden pallets, crates and containers -- came as Homeland
Security and Justice Department officials prepared to announce steps to toughen
internal enforcement of the nation's immigration laws.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) About time. Hope they keep up the good work.
by caktus / April 20, 2006 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
I was listening to the radio
by Diana Forum moderator / April 20, 2006 9:40 AM PDT

A woman called in and is a tax preparer. She said that some of her clients were having problems because the IRS was contacting them saying they weren't reporting all their income.

Turns out illegals were using their social security numbers to work and these W2's were being reported.

Diana

Collapse -
bogus W-2's
by James Denison / April 20, 2006 3:07 PM PDT

I can imagine that's a big problem. If you make 40K a year and some immigrant makes 15K a year he probably puts in less than you would for the extra 15K and you end up owing. Of course if that's only the Social Security, it's to your good in the future. But then there are the taxes and the income recorded to you......

Interestingly, the immigrants are paying social security taxes and since they are illegal they don't have a chance of getting anything back from it at retirement age. Guess that's one consolation. They help keep the SocSec propped up for us, but then the tax collected from them isn't in the same tax rate as the person who's number they stole, so that person is facing the difference in taxes on income he never received.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.