HolidayBuyer's Guide

Samsung forum

Question

My smart tv deleted all the apps last night

by taurusalmighty / August 18, 2014 4:50 PM PDT

I have a Samsung UA40F6400 smart tv, and last might, it decided to delete all the apps, except for the top row, which includes the samsung app store.

The tv is less than a year old and its the first time its done this. It is operating in 'home' mode. Since this happened, I performed a firmware upgrade to try resolve this. Is this a common problem?

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My smart tv deleted all the apps last night
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My smart tv deleted all the apps last night
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Re: My smart tv deleted all the apps last night
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 20, 2014 7:52 AM PDT

Hi taurusalmighty,

Thanks for your message! But just so you know, I support US products and customers. So if you want the most accurate information, please contact Samsung Support in your country.

http://smsn.us/visitcountry

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
WatchESPN app
by sachin_216 / August 22, 2014 5:48 AM PDT

Hello HD Tech:

I realize that this is not the right forum for my question. But, is ESPNCricinfo app available on UN48H6350 TV? All I am intending to do is watch live games on this app (as I do it on my laptop).

-Sachin

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 19, 2014 12:46 AM PDT

These HDTVs are unlike PCs in the App department. Updates can wipe out what was installed and yes it's annoying.
I've yet to hear if they are going to work on that but I was told that they had to so to insure old apps were gone in case of any incompatibility with the new HDTV firmware.
Bob

Collapse -
by taurusalmighty / August 19, 2014 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the comment, but the tv deleted apps and as a corrective action I tried a firmware upgrade, not the other way round.

Collapse -
Bugs continue to plague the industry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

If it does it a lot, then call it in or they won't know.

HOWEVER many don't know that apps can be removed remotely. It's not like a PC today. That is, if there is some reason to remove an app, these systems can do that. Which makes for a mess if there is any software bug.

For example I found all sorts of errors on many machines if the date and time was off. This dirty problem is going to be with us for years.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.