PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My search for an LCD screen with superior resolution

by Joe_Wulf / September 6, 2010 4:41 AM PDT

I'm frustrated with my search and have turned to CNet for answers.

I've been patiently waiting for a quality LCD monitor to come out. Most features with LCD monitors', I feel, are of excellent quality, as I've researched and reviewed them---with one startling exception: RESOLUTION.

Currently I have a Dell M1710 XPS laptop, with a 17" screen, that supports 1900x1200 resolution. Which is fine for me in this form factor. I have an external 19" Dell CRT Trinitron P1130 monitor which achieves an excellent 2048x1536 resolution. The monitor works great for the video it outputs. In that regard, I'm pleased.

I'm anticipating purchasing a replacement laptop within the next 6 months (most likely the high-end Dell AlienWare M17x, fully loaded, with the I7 920 processor, or something better if it comes along). At the same time, I would like to purchase an external superior quality LCD screen (comprared to what is available today) in the range of 22 or even 24 inches, that has a resolution ratio beyond what my simple 17" laptop has.

All the 22"/24" LCD monitors I've researched lately (including those up to $1600.00!!) have no better maximum resolution than my 17" laptop. Desktop screen real estate is very important to me. So, I'm asking all of you, where can I get a LCD screen with superior resolution?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My search for an LCD screen with superior resolution
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My search for an LCD screen with superior resolution
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about 3840 x 2160 pixels.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 5:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
woa
by Joe_Wulf / September 6, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

Bob,

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion. 56" is a tad larger than I really need as a companion to my next laptop. It is impressive though. I had figured on spending no more than $800.00'ish, so I'm gonna have to pass on the deal you've offered--thanks, though!

-Joe

Collapse -
Just an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 6, 2010 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: woa

There are displays outside the consumer offerings. That is, you may never see these at Best Buy but what I like today is the simple 1080p display connected with HDMI which gives me a very nice external with the ease of hookup without the issues of analog VGA.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.