Samsung forum

General discussion

My Samsung 56" HDTV DLPTV switching On and Off intemittently

by srikanthmech / February 9, 2009 3:41 AM PST

HL-5679W 56" Samsung DLP TV is switching on and off intermittently (3 or 4 times).. I called samsung and the samsung service person who checked my tv told me that the Power board has a problem and needs to be completely replaced... the total cost for the power board is $400 and $250 for his labor.. So i am spending about 650 bucks on this tv, which is just one and half years old (the 1 year warranty has expired of course).. I saw similar blogs in this forum that said that this was only a problem with a few capacitors that would cost less.. Isn't there a way I can spend less by just fixing specific capacitors in the powerboard instead of replacing the whole damn thing ? .. I stay in NJ, please let me know if there is a cheaper way to get out of this power board mess (if there is any service provided who knows the stuff and can fix it for less) .. These samsung people, i am sure dont know much about this, because the guy who came to check the tv, didn't even open the tv, he just said replace the powerboard by looking at the intermittent on-off...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Samsung 56" HDTV DLPTV switching On and Off intemittently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Samsung 56" HDTV DLPTV switching On and Off intemittently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reseat the lamp
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 9, 2009 1:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Its a LED TV
by srikanthmech / February 9, 2009 11:48 PM PST
In reply to: Reseat the lamp

Hi.. We have a LED TV and not a Lamp.

Collapse -
Power board problem
by srikanthmech / February 10, 2009 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Reseat the lamp

Also the samsung technician had told us that it will be a power board problem and definitely not a LED problem..

Collapse -
Power board
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 10, 2009 10:22 AM PST
In reply to: Power board problem

srikanthmech,

Thanks for the feedback. Are you already working with a technician?

If that's what the tech said, he would have an advantage of knowing more than I would at this point.

--HDTech

Collapse -
On/Off switching
by Big71 / August 19, 2009 3:42 AM PDT

My 16 month old 52 LCD had the same problem. The switching kept getting longer and longer (about two weeks). Finally, it wouldn't turn on at all. Samsung rep came out, went immediately to the power board, looked at the 2 capacitors that go out, verified that they were out, and replaced the power board. Board was $150 + $100 to come out (repair shop was less than five miles away), and $100 to change out the board. He was in and out in 10 minutes. Set works great now. It seems to run a little hotter than before. I kept the old power board. Known problem? Happy

Collapse -
??
by zeronyne / January 13, 2010 1:37 PM PST
In reply to: On/Off switching

Hey HD Tech, what happened to the mega thread about this issue? Did you delete it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.