General discussion

My Samsung 50 in PN50B650 turns off by itself then on again

Help! I am rewriting this article since I had written the wrong TV model in my initial post. I just bought this Samsung 50 inch plasma no more than 5 months ago and after about 25-30 mins of TV watching, my TV suddenly turns itself off, makes about 3 or 4 rapid "clicking" sounds (like on/off very quickly) and then turns itself on again. Once it's done it the first time, it then does it every 2 to 3 mins, non stop! The only thing I can do is shut the TV for about 15 mins before it starts doing it again after 25 mins. It seems to especially happen when I watch sports.

It was suggested that I try to tap gently on the area behind the bezel where the invisible buttons are to see if that was the problem but that doesn't do anything.

It's hard to believe that a tv that expensive could do something like that... Can someone please help? Your help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

thank you

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My Samsung 50 in PN50B650 turns off by itself then on again
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My Samsung 50 in PN50B650 turns off by itself then on again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My Samsung 50 in PN50B650 turns off by itself then on again

feeds,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

If the unit is only 5 months old, it's likely still within warranty. I would recommend having it serviced. You would be able to set that up by calling 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Yes but..

Thank you for your reply Samsung Tech, but I have one question... I bought the TV in the US, but am now in Canada. Can I still get it serviced?

thank you

- Collapse -
Yes but..

feeds,

I'll see what I can find out. Have you called 800-SAMSUNG yet? If you have, post the transaction number and I'll see if I can get an answer for you. If you haven't, attempt a service call first.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
I have but

Hi Mr. Tech,

I called Samsung Canada, but they said they couldn't send a tech cuz it was purchased in the US. So I called the US, and they said they couldn't send a tech from the US, that I had to call Samsung Canada... Then they suggested I bring the tv to the US to get it fixed. I asked them if they could talk to each other (and then realized they're both in the same office in the US but some represent Samsung Canada) to work something out, but they said there was nothing they could do. I don't get it. It seems to me that Samsung is Samsung, whether it's in the US or in Canada. But they won't send a tech and won't cover it.
After 20 minutes of discussing, the supervisor actually hung up on me when I suggested to him that it might be a good business move to cover both countries.. could not believe it.
I'm sorry to say that my next tv will not be a Samsung. 2500$ down the drain.

- Collapse -
I have but

feeds,

Do you have a transaction number from the call? If so, post it here with your initials. Your information should be in the computer.

If not, try to get another service set up (as futile as it may sound), but get a transaction number that documents your call. It usually comes in the form of 1001xxxxxx, 2001xxxxxx or similar format.

I'll send this over to see if I can get some assistance for you.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
I'll try again

Ok Mr. Tech, I'll call them again and see if they can give me a transaction number for the call I had made. If they can't give me one, I'll make another request as you are suggesting and ask for the transaction number and get back to you. I appreciate your help, but I must admit I'm not very optimistic. The last phone call I had with them was not much fun. But I am certainly willing to give it another try.
thank you.

- Collapse -
Have the number

Hello Samsung Tech,

I was able to get my transaction number for my call, it is 2007355744.

I hope you can help me fix this problem.

thank you

- Collapse -
Have the number

feeds,

Me too!

Keep me posted on developments, and I'll be happy to do the same. My reach is limited (in the U.S.), but I want to see if we can help.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Wow.. I'm impressed

Samsung Tech,

I am very pleased and very impressed. I've just received a call from Samsung Canada and they will fax a request to a nearby tech company to come and check on my tv.

I can't tell you how pleased I am. Thank you very, very much. I greatly appreciate it.

If you want, I can update you on the situation and solution for the tv once the tech has come over.

Again, thank you very much for your help.

- Collapse -
Wow.. I'm impressed

feeds,

Great news! Thanks for posting back.

I appreciate your patience, and I hope this fixes the issue.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Update

Hi Samsung Tech,

It's been a while, and I wish I could say my issues were resolved, but not quite yet. However, I've been getting some good support so that's encouraging.
Here's what's happened so far. It's also been a long time since it's hard for me to be available when their techs are (usually 8-4 weekdays). However, lately, their techs have been more available between 4pm and 6pm.
1. Tech came first time to check. Said he'd come back.
2. Tech came back, changed the board where all the cables are plugged in. Tech left.
3. Half an hour later after the tech left, same problem started happening. TV shutting down after 30 mins. Called company back.
4. Tech came back. This time he changed the circuit board where the volume and other elements are (right side). Tech left.
5. Half an hour later, same problem happening.
6. Called company again.
7. This time, the techs came to pick up the TV. Kept the TV for about 3 weeks until they received the main circuit board. Changed that.
8. Techs brought the TV back. 30 mins later, same problem. Additionally, and unfortunately, this time around, they broke the round disc on the base that holds the glass base down.
9. Called company back.
10. Today, they came over to pick up the tv again. Not sure what they'll do this time. Not sure how long I'll wait. But at this stage, what else can I do but wait. I was able to borrow another tv from a friend in the meantime, thank God.
I'll keep you posted on the next episode. I sure hope they can find the problem someday.
Cheers.

- Collapse -
Update

feeds,

Thanks for the update. I wish I could say your issues were resolved too. Keep me posted on the progress.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
screwed by samsung again

I am sick of Samsung. I want to throw out every samsung product I own. My hubby worked hard to save the money for our 50 inch Plasma...and tonight...no warning...it died. I googled the problem, and it seems to be quite common!! WOW SAMSUNG...way to screw the hard working population....thanks for nothing. I will be deregistering all my products...and going back to my tube tv..,its lasted over 10 years. your products and customer service and warranties are horrible.... Sad

CNET Forums

Forum Info