PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My processor is typically at 20% or more

by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 1:42 AM PDT

I am running an intel 1.8mhz Celeron (Emachines T1480) and have 512 of RAM.

I run a bunch of antispyware stuff at start up which seems to use a lot of my processor. I worry I will shorten it's life with it constantly running so hot.

Roddy suggested I ask here if installing a 2nd fan in my unit would help keep my cycles down. Or, any other suggestions other than turning off my protection programs (Zone Alarm, AVG, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Prevx, WinPatrol, Spybot Teatimer are all running-- I am willing to turn off redundant protection only.. I think maybe Teatimer isn't needed with both WinPatrol and Prevx running but I am not sure).

Thanx in advance,

Craig

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My processor is typically at 20% or more
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My processor is typically at 20% or more
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What parameter are you speaking about???
by Ray Harinec / July 6, 2005 1:55 AM PDT

If it is CPU usage, that's great. Your CPU is loafing. Time to make it do a little work. Start doing extensive video/graphics work. LOL

Of course you didn't tell us what Operating System you are using!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it is XP, the number is unlikely to be referring to resources because XP handles resources far better than Win 9X and ME. If it is resources in a Win 9X or ME system then you have far too many programs opening at boot.

"Roddy suggested I ask here if installing a 2nd fan in my unit would help keep my cycles down.". Just what the hades are you asking here???????????

You post is regarding 20% or more, and then you are getting into temperature. Why not start over and tell us what your problem really is?? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the CPU running at high percentage [that's what it is for]. Now if you can tell us what temperature your CPU is running at we could talk sense.

Collapse -
Well thats why I posted here
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

I really am not sure.

My profile said XP so I didnt bother reporting that here-- sorry. Yes, my processor is running at 20% or more typically with spikes at over 50% regularly.

It didn't used to run that high until I began running all these protection programs and I am concerned I will burn it out if its constantly running that much as my pc is on all day. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned.

Roddy brought it up to me and suggested I post here. If it's not an issue, great. If I should be checking the internal temp of my pc, tell me how and I will report back and then we can perhaps discuss intelligently. This is an area I am not terribly knowledgable about. I just want to be within normal parameters.

Collapse -
The only way that you will hurt the CPU is if you
by Ray Harinec / July 6, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

let its core temperature get too high.

You didn't tell us what make and model and vintage CPU you have. Thus it would be tough to give some temp guidance. The numbers change as the CPU's get faster. There is the temps obtained using the standard retail box HSF and those acheived using better cooling schemes. Intel gives 70 plus C as acceptable for many retail set P4's.

Now all the super heroes will post that they are running at 34 C [same as this writer's system], but I am simply telling what the Intel Technical documents say. BTW, at 70C the CPU will last well beyond the time it will be replaced when you get a new system. Keep it below 50 C it may outlive you. LOL

In the case of Intel CPU's they have had built in protection against overtemp for years, they throttle back and then shut down if the CPU gets near a possible damage level.

AMD didn't start adding workable temp protection in the CPU until about a year ago, and then still needed Mobo circuits to make it effective.

Do you have a place in the BIOS to check the CPU temp? If so, the temp you see when you first boot and get into the BIOS will be a low reading. You would need to run the system for a while doing a lot of active things, then do a quick restart and go into the BIOS and check the temp.

Computers are made to work and work hard. All of junk that one loads at startup, as well as spyware, et al, serve to slow the effective processing that you, as the user sees. It ain't hurting the CPU in the least, it is simply peeing the user off, no end because it gets so slow. LOL

Collapse -
Sorry..
by bglover51 / July 6, 2005 3:04 AM PDT

All i know is what I put in my 1st post, it's an Intel Celeron running at 1.8hz.

As I said in last post, maybe my concern is over nothing. If a flatline 20% with all my start up progs is ok then it's not a problem. I do spike around 50% regularly. Again maybe that's not a problem.

What started all this was when I loaded a new program (Prevx) and my processor zoomed to 100% spikes with regularity and slowed the pc to a crawl. I turned off one of my resident protection progs (Spyware Doctor) and the CPU calmed down to 20%. Now, I've turned off Teatimer as well and its down to 15%.

I am still running Prevx, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, WinPatrol, AVG and Zone Alarm for protection. My main concern is that I don't get infections. But, I talk to other friends and their processors (running similar setups) are running at 5% or less. So I thought maybe mine was out of line.

Collapse -
In a nutshell. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 6, 2005 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry..

20% - 50% usage is, as was mentioned, loafing. I run a 2 GHz AMD and XP Home. Running in the background is SETI@Home my usage is 90%, my temp is 50C.

Go here http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en and download the Everest Home version. It will tell you PC speed, usage, temp, even the color of the shoelaces of the guy that soldered the motherboard. Free.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.

Collapse -
Adding the extra software...
by jackintucson / July 6, 2005 3:07 AM PDT

will increase processor usage. Especially when they are in residence <background>. These programs will continually check all traffic <mostly network> coming in to your computer. The more processes the higher the temperature. Your cpu fan should automatically increase in speed <rpm>. My P4<3.4> typically runs at 128 degrees (F). You should have at least 3 more fans running: 1 at the bottom of the case, 1 near the processor on the case and your power supply should have at least 1. Your case should have grills in it where you can mount the fans and your motherboard might have power pins to plug them in. Or they will have the 4-pin plugs for 12v.

Is this what you are looking for?

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
My processor is typically at 20% or more
by jcrobso / July 6, 2005 4:14 AM PDT

Usualy one good spyware program. One good antivirus and one good firewall will do the job. John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?