PC Applications forum

General discussion

My Picture Tasks- What Happened??

by captdane / May 24, 2006 2:18 PM PDT

On Dell laptop w/ Win. XP.

I'm trying to copy pictures from my HD to a cd. I did several in the last week w/ no problem. Now suddenly, I don't see "Copy to CD" option under "Picture Tasks" anymore.

When I select a pic, I get this dialog box that says "This copy operation was cancelled b/c your media was not formatted".

I've been using the built-in Sonic Data feature recently & I *did* also get another weirdo message about "DLA Format".

What gives??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Picture Tasks- What Happened??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Picture Tasks- What Happened??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anyone?
by captdane / May 25, 2006 6:08 AM PDT

Bueller?

Collapse -
DLA formatting...
by John.Wilkinson / May 25, 2006 8:19 AM PDT

DLA enables you to drag-and-drop files to and from a CD, burning in 'real-time,' using the CD as if it were a floppy or zip disk. This isn't supported by Windows XP by default, or most other burning software.

The downside to DLA is that it can only be used on a CD that has been formatted specially for DLA. If the CD has not been formatted for DLA, you'll be unable to burn anything to the CD using DLA, receiving that error message when you try to. Also, the option to "Copy to CD" will not be available since DLA cannot perform the function on a non-DLA formatted CD.

Assuming that DLA has already been enabled on the drive for the user in question, what you must do is right-click the burner in My Computer and select Format. **Note** This will permanently erase anything/everything on the CD. It takes about 20 minutes for me to format a CD, but only 5 to format a DVD. Once the CD has been formatted, full functionality should be available.

Now, sometimes DLA glitches, where a previously-formatted CD is not recognized as such. If/when this happens, the CD is still readable, but you can no longer modify anything on the CD or add new files to it. To resolve it, you must copy any/all files to your hard drive, format the CD, then copy all of the files back to the CD.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks for this
by captdane / May 25, 2006 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: DLA formatting...

I'm a bit lost. I don't have a disk to format. At least not yet. What I want to 1st do is get my "Copy to CD" option back under "Picture Tasks".

What happened??

Collapse -
That I don't know...
by John.Wilkinson / May 26, 2006 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for this

I recall having that option myself a while back, but I just checked and don't have it either. Perhaps it's no longer a supported command for those using DLA? You could try contacting Sonic and see what they say, but I just open two different instances of Explorer and do a copy-and-paste job, just like I do with personal files and installers.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
I guess...
by captdane / May 26, 2006 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: That I don't know...

I'll have to try contacting Sonic then, cause this is confounding me big time. It was fine just a week ago.

I swear. Every time I fix a problem something else screws up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.