TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

My perfect Home theater system

by amailcat / August 4, 2006 2:36 AM PDT

Hi
I have been planning to make a perfect Home Theater system and was researching on the components. I plan to get the Sony KDS 50A2000, Denon AVR 2807,PS3 for BR DVD and some good speaker system (7.1). I would like to get TrueHD lossless sound. I would like to know whether the existing system will be able to support the lossless audio feature.

Please inform.

Thanks
Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My perfect Home theater system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My perfect Home theater system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"get TrueHD lossless sound,",, Vinyl records????
by jcrobso / August 4, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

Just kidding,,well sort of.
I would suggest you spend a lot of time on selecting your speakers!!! They are the MOST important part of you system!!!!! DH-DVD audio and SCAD HD CDs just never realy got going. Yes the HD-DVD/BRay has the potential for better sound, will it be lossless???? That depends on many things!
There a many good speakers from JBL, Polk Audio, Klisph, Boston Acoutsics, Aximom, etc. I would suggest looking in the $800 to 1000+ range. If you want perfect sound don't get Bo$e. John

Collapse -
Lossless sound...
by speleofool / August 4, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

It doesn't mean perfect--it just means the compression methods aren't lossy--what gets uncompressed, digitally, is an exact copy of the digital signal that got compressed in the first place, not a near-approximation.

Of course, digital itself is an approximation of analog, so your tongue-in-cheek point is well taken. Happy

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
How much money do you have? ;)
by speleofool / August 4, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

Be prepared for compromises between perfect and "affordable in this lifetime." Perfection is *&#@) expensive. Wink

I doubt the existing system will completely support TrueHD. These formats will not be handled natively until HDMI 1.3 hardware is available, and the spec was only recently approved. See here for more details:
http://www.ultimateavmag.com/news/020506hdmi/

There's been some word about next-gen audio getting transcoded to PCM, which is compatible with today's hardware, but I'm not sure what the compromises involved are or whether this is a lossy conversion. Seems like if it was perfect already they wouldn't be bothering with HDMI 1.3, though.

I'll echo John's sentiments to start shopping for really good speakers. Speakers are what turn electricity into great sound, and they really define how good the audio can get. Everything else is there to get a nice clean electrical signal to the speakers.

Of course, be prepared to pay for good speakers. The best speakers in the world run 6 figures, so if you've go enough cash for perfect let me know if you've got any work I can do for you. Otherwise, look for something as close to perfect as you can afford and spend you money on the speakers first. And remember that perfection doesn't need to be done all at once. I started out with a 3.0 setup because that was all I could afford, then added a sub 8 months later and surrounds some 5 months after that. My most recent addition was a high-end DVD player with exceptionally good audio capabilities. My "perfect" theater has been a 2 year project and I'm still waiting on 1080p projectors to reach the right level of performance for the right price.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Collapse -
Speakers
by amailcat / August 7, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

Thank you for the information. For around 1000-1200$ can you suggest me a good 5.1 speaker system.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't recommend specifics, but here are some ideas....
by speleofool / August 7, 2006 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Speakers

Hi, Bob.

I'll let someone else try to tackle specific recommendations. I really don't know much about gear at that price point.

Another problem is that the right speakers for you depend a lot on your listening environment, your listening habits and what else you might care to do with your life besides spend money on A/V gear. Wink

Here are a few suggestions to help you find the right stuff:

1. Start by figuring out what kind of speakers you want. Free-standing towers give you the best range of sound, but can be big & bulky and might be overkill for a small room. Bookshelf speakers are a good compromise for smaller budgets or smaller spaces. In-wall or in-ceiling speakers can give you the cleanest look, but may require some compromises in sound quality. Finally, HTIB systems are good for very tight budgets or people who don't care much about sound quality.

Based on your original post and the other gear you're looking at, I think a HTIB is the wrong way to go.

2. Go listen to some speakers. Bring a few CDs of music you really like and listen to stereo setups. Stereo music is a great way to audition because it's plentiful and detailed and will give you a good feel for how different speakers sound. When you find 2 you like, the other 3 should sound the same.

3. Your subwoofer doesn't have to match the other speakers, but the main speakers should all be the same brand and of the same family.

4. This is my opinion, but since you mentioned an interest in quality, go listen to some more expensive speakers. At $1000-1200 for a 5.1 system, you're talking $200 or less for each speaker, so listen to some speakers in the $3-400/ea range. If you hear a difference in sound quality worth paying for you can always get more expensive L/R/C speakers now and pick up the surrounds later, or re-evaluate your budget and save for something nicer. Its better to know what you're getting and be happy with it than to focus too much on cost and regret what you didn't get.

Cheers!
Speleo.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!