Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My PCI cards are not getting recognized. New system....

by lassean1 / May 15, 2006 9:18 PM PDT

My specs are AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
1.80 GHz 192 MB of RAM. My OS is Windows XP Home edition. I just received this PC from Fry's Electronics and already it is becoming a headache. I keep getting error messages when I try to install my radeon graphics card which is like a 9500 pro I believe. Also my cheap little creative sound Blaster Live sound card is getting zero recognition either. If someone out there has some vast Knowledge and is willing to share it I would appreciate this immensely. The error I keep getting is this one...
Setup was unable to find components that can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Thanks for your submissions and always love comin to this place for some excellent guidance. Sean.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PCI cards are not getting recognized. New system....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PCI cards are not getting recognized. New system....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need more RAM
by glb613 / May 15, 2006 9:24 PM PDT

You don't have enough to run Windows XP properly.

Collapse -
Are you sure that is the reason for the Ports not being foun
by lassean1 / May 15, 2006 9:40 PM PDT
In reply to: You need more RAM

If you are serious I will buy more RAM today it just doesnt seem right though. Do you have any other suggestions to this matter. I will be more than happy to listen. Thanks.

Collapse -
It may not solve your problem
by glb613 / May 17, 2006 9:16 AM PDT

but, you need more RAM if you want your computer to perform well. What's the point of having nice hardware installed if the computer runs poorly due to inadequate memory.

Collapse -
That doesn't appear to be the cause of the issue (more)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2006 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: You need more RAM

I find that most of the time it's the person who installed the Microsoft OS and doesn't know that motherboard and other drivers are needed for proper operation. Since Microsoft doesn't install these and few know to install them, this leads to the problem presented in the top post.

Bob

Collapse -
More memory would certainly help
by retired / May 15, 2006 9:47 PM PDT

the machine run a little faster. your problem probably is because the motherboard has on-board video and sound and trying to install pci sound and video cards will cause errors unless the bios will let you disable the on-board features. some boards have a bios that will automatically disable the on-board video and sound while others will not. Some boards will not do either. Unless you are familiar with all this you should take the computer back to the shop and let them install them.

Collapse -
I have a 6 year old Gateway , 751 AMD ATHLON but my ram was
by DarCLew2 / May 16, 2006 3:28 PM PDT

256 MB in 2 slots and I added a 256 MB memory in one slot and have 512 MB, Windows XP Home edition, 14.33 GB Hard drive. I have a Creative Audio Sound Blaster PCI. Sean I would strongly advise that you increase your RAM. I have 74% free Space on the small hard drive. Do you have the drivers for your Radeon Graphics Card? And is there a volume icon on your toolbar??
I have checked my system to see what is working, what has a yellow question mark and what has a red cicle with an diagonal line thru it. Control Panel, system, open, Hardware to Device Manager. Check out the + sign on display adapter and down on the + sound, video and game controllers. your items should be there. If the Creative Sound Blaster Live is missing, go to the Add New Hardware Icon, yes, it is in there add it from a list scroll down to Creative and the other side should list "Sound Blaster Live" The Graphics card is whole different story. Darrell

Collapse -
Definitely
by Themisive / May 17, 2006 4:48 AM PDT

Before anything else, get more RAM. Windows XP needs at least 512Mb to run properly. If you are going to run graphics programmes for photo editing you could be looking at up to 1Gb, and for games playing, especially the latest RPG's anything from 1.5Gb to 2Gb. Basically the more the merrier.

Do get the motherboard chipset drivers installed, as this can lead to all sorts of problems otherwise, also get the onboard sound and onboard graphics disabled (you can do these last two yourself) as otherwise they'll conflict with the PCI and AGP cards.

If you know the chipset, (mine are VIA GA-7CA) using my chipset as a guide, find the VIA website - a good search engine will help there, look for Technical Support/Download Drivers. Now you will be asked for your O/S platform, choose Windows XP, then Chipset drivers, download the ones for your machine and load them.

To disable onboard sound and graphics, go to Start/Run/Settings/Control Panel, open the System icon and select the Hardware tab, now click on the button marked Device Manager.

Now look down the list for Sound, video and game controllers, click on the + at the left, then find the audio, right click and click on Disable, do the same for the onboard graphics, which are in the same section. You may not be able to disable them though until the chipset drivers have been loaded.

Now disconnect from the 'net, and reboot.

Collapse -
drivers first
by linkit / May 17, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

While you should have more memory for XP (512MB is a good start), I'd take care of the drivers first. Look in DEVICE MANAGER to see what devices have a ''?'' next to them. Those devices need a driver to be installed.

If the computer is a name brand like HP, Gateway, eMachines, etc., then go to their website and find the downloads page for your particular model number. Download the needed drivers from there and install them.

If it is a custom build, then you need to go to the motherboard manufacturer's website to get the drivers. Download and run CPU-Z to get the motherboard manufacturer name and model number.
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Creative SoundBlaster drivers here:
http://www.creative.com/language.asp?sDestUrl=/support/downloads

QUESTIONS:
Did this problem exist before you attempted to insatll the Radeon 9500 Pro?
What is the make & model of the computer?
What is the motherboard model number?

Collapse -
motherboard maodel numbers...Make and models.
by lassean1 / May 17, 2006 4:21 PM PDT
In reply to: drivers first

The Model Number of my Motherboard is K8M800-M2.

The Brand is Phoenix Technologies,LTD.

I got the PC in the mail and put all the cards in ASAP.
So I am not sure if it was because I did not have enough RAM. I just bought 1 GB and added the 258 to the second slot. I am going to try the graphics card after a few downloads for the drivers and my bios. So please if you have anymore Ideas please let me know how to disable these on board graphics in the Bios. Thanks for the links.
Thanks for everything.

Collapse -
You can disable the onboard video
by glb613 / May 17, 2006 8:11 PM PDT

and sound though the device manager. It may be an easier way to do it while getting the PCI cards installed. Once the cards are installed, you can go into the BIOS and disable them there as well. Go to the control panel, system, hardware then device manager. Open your display adapter then double click on the onboard video. At the very bottom of the page is where you can disable it. Click on the down arrow and select do not use this device. Be sure to select OK before you exit. You can also do that for the onboard audio.

Install the PCI cards following the instructions that came with the hardware. With some you install the software first, turn off the computer, install the card then reboot. With others, you install the card, turn on the computer and when new hardware is found, you direct it to the CD. That varies depending on the card. That is why it is so important to read and follow the intructions.

If the problem is not your installation technique or a conflict with the onboard video/audio, it could be the PCI slots are not enable or reconized by the computer. As posted earlier, you need to get into the BIOS and make sure they are enabled. Or it may be you need to install the proper drivers for the motherboard. While in the BIOS, disable the onboard audio and video.

Collapse -
Had do some searching for Pheonix Motherboard BIOS
by DarCLew2 / May 18, 2006 2:57 PM PDT
Collapse -
ECS motherboard
by linkit / May 18, 2006 3:47 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.