Windows Vista forum

General discussion

My PC shuts down unexpectedly - intermittent problem

by JChidester / December 24, 2010 10:30 AM PST

Gateway LX6810-01 Quadcore about 18 months old Running Vista

This is an intermittent problem which began about 10 days ago. I have run Norton 360 and found some low-threat issues which were removed.

Overnight I usually set the PC to "sleep" mode - sometimes during the night, the system shuts down so I have to do a cold boot. (MIGHT this be due to updates which were automatically run overnight such as disk optimization?)

In the past few days, I've had the PC shut down while I was using it. No warning - nothing I can see that is related to some particular steps I was taking. (Not related to a particular program; although I'm usually running Firefox while the system is awake.)

When I have to do a cold reboot, at least half the time I have to respecify which hard drive to boot from -- rather than the bios remembering which one to use.

All my work files are stored on an external 1TB drive; programs on the internal 500 GB C: drive.

Appreciate any advice -- and will be happy to answer any questions that might help diagnose what's going on.

Could it be related to a 'hot' CPU? The bios reports temp of about 80 degrees C. Is that unusual?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PC shuts down unexpectedly - intermittent problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PC shuts down unexpectedly - intermittent problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A few ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2010 10:34 AM PST

1. Put in a new CMOS battery.
2. Stop using SLEEP and try HIBERNATE instead. (The reason has been written about too many times?)
3. Be ready to reload that OS. Many folk wait till it's too late and lose their stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
Your Ideas Worked...
by JChidester / February 7, 2011 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: A few ideas.

Thanks R.Proffitt -- replacing the CMOS battery stopped the unexpected shutdowns. And using hibernate mode instead of sleep seems to make the restarts more reliable.

Still have an occasional problem doing a cold re-start. The system doesn't find the right drive from which to boot.

Maybe if the funds come in, I'll upgrade to Windows 7. Thanks to both of you for the help.

Collapse -
That COLD RESTART was not something I want to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2011 1:01 PM PST
In reply to: Your Ideas Worked...

Why?

That's one of the symptoms of BAD CAPS (google tells more.)
Bob

Collapse -
gateway lx6810-01 shuting down unexpectedly
by racerx24 / February 7, 2011 6:04 AM PST

i bought the same model. i also had the same problem. the problem is that the computer is over heating. their are no case fans in it. you can either add a case fan or up grade to windows 7. i upgraded to 7 cause my os crashed and lost everything. but that was a 119 dollar repair. the fan is a cheaper way to go. windows 7 runs cooler

Collapse -
No it doesn't
by Jimmy Greystone / February 7, 2011 10:13 PM PST

No it doesn't. The OS does not factor in here. The fact that your system was "fixed" by an OS restore suggests that your problem was caused by something completely different.

Collapse -
No mention of a OS restore
by wb2001 / February 9, 2011 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: No it doesn't

racerx24,
There was no mention of an OS restore in the previous commentary by anyone, except you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?