Computer Help forum

General discussion

my pc shutdown automatically

by maharaja007 / February 24, 2005 2:26 AM PST

whenever i try to play games or some graphics or even some flash ....for few minutes it goes well but then automatically my pc shutdowns.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my pc shutdown automatically
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my pc shutdown automatically
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shutdown or restart?
by Yew / February 24, 2005 2:50 AM PST

There's a big difference between the two.

Does the thing turn off and stay that way, or does it turn off and then back on?

Collapse -
help me 2
by ram86 / February 27, 2005 4:38 AM PST

My computer does the same thing. I will play games, usually full screen games, and my computer will shut off completly and make a sound like a police siren. I have to unplug my computer to make the noise quit. Please help.

Collapse -
"a sound like a police siren."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: help me 2

That's the warning signal the CPU temperature exceeded some BIOS measured maximum.

Just wondering. Does this tip show when you post? It reads "Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

If you had followed this tip we would know if your Apple laptop needed some cleanup or a trip to Cupertino.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by ram86 / February 27, 2005 5:11 AM PST

Sorry. I am new at this and I was in a hurry. My computer I think is a built computer by CompUSA. It has Windows XP home edition, Nvidia geforce fx 5200. I don't know how much info you need, like I said I am new to all of this please help me.

Collapse -
more info
by ram86 / February 27, 2005 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: sorry

I found a little info on my system. I have AMD Athlon xp 1250 mhz, 512 ram msi ms-6712. Does this help more?

Collapse -
That helps a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 6:22 AM PST
In reply to: more info

I'm now able to guess it's a desktop since that motherboard is used in desktops. In a hurry or not, the details do matter.

The siren is the sign that the CPU is in an overheated condition and for the Athlons, this can be FATAL. You would remove the case cover and make sure the CPU heatsink is attached, in place and the CPU fan is running at it's usual full tilt speed.

Also you would make sure that the heatsink is not full of heat trapping lint and dust.

Such a cleanup is best done every year so you would be used to this cleaning and checking.

Bob

Collapse -
already did that
by ram86 / February 27, 2005 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: That helps a little.

I already have cleaned the computer and my fans are running at full tilt. Anything else you can recommend?

Collapse -
If the siren sounds...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 6:42 AM PST
In reply to: already did that

Then you proceed to checking that the heatsink compound is there. The procedure isn't that hard, but I won't share it here since one misstep and your CPU goes up in smoke.

As it stands, the machine needs some TLC and maintenence.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?