Computer Help forum

General discussion

my PC periodically freezes for a few seconds; hard drive?

by akalsha / March 14, 2008 10:56 PM PDT

Hi all,
I've been having a little annoying problem with my PC for a while now. The whole thing is only a little over a year old, and this has been happening for at least 6 months. I was just thinking that it's about time to do something about it because it's really getting on my nerves and slowing me down.

Periodically (10 times an hour maybe) while I'm using my PC, it will just completely freeze up for around 10 seconds. It will start making a progressively louder whirring noise that sounds kind of like a plane taking off, then it will click and everything will be back to normal.
It seems to do it more often when I'm working with files, like moving them, opening the "save as" box....

It seems like the issue is probably the hard drive, but I wanted to run it by you all. I think it's the hard drive because there's obviously a moving part that stops, clicks and starts again (not sure about the whirring).
What do you think? Would appreciate any suggestions, as my PC is likely to "take off" out the window by my desk shortly if I don't fix this lol.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my PC periodically freezes for a few seconds; hard drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my PC periodically freezes for a few seconds; hard drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"10 times an hour maybe" is a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:24 PM PDT

The Windows networking components have a timer at 600 seconds or 10 minutes.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684 notes this KeepConn entry and how to change it's timing. What you need to know is this can happen on machines that have a share connected and the share is offline. Fix? Bring that share online or just right click on Network Neighbor and disconnect from all shares.
Bob

Collapse -
by akalsha / March 14, 2008 11:39 PM PDT

Thanks for your response. I don't think it's happening at exactly every 10 minutes, I just came up with the number out of my head. Would that keepconn cause my PC to freeze though? Also, I'm running Vista.

Collapse -
Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2008 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

It's a very old issue with Windows. Your post reminded me of it. Sadly you didn't share if you were on a network connected to other machine shares or printers which this issue is seen on. The lack of details in your post hinders me from dismissing.

As to why, that's easy. It's a bug.
Bob

Collapse -
why what?
by akalsha / March 15, 2008 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

"As to why, that's easy. It's a bug."- I'm sorry; what are you answering here? I didn't ask why about anything....

I have 4 PC's that share wireless internet, and some file sharing options are on.

Thank you

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: why what?

I reread your post and I do see you wanted to know how this would cause the machine to freeze once in a while. I'm not going to write the cause here because it's been done too many times. I think it suffices that I share the issue and what to do to stop it.

If you feel Windows should be bug free, get in line.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!