Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My PC keeps on restarting again and again without any reason

I need help I am currently using microsoft xp professional OS, I have a p4 1.7 computer with pny verto geforce 5200 fx card, 40 GB seagate harddisk and 512 DDR hynix RAM. Now when I install a new OS after formatting the hard disk it works fine for a week or two, after that it just keeps on restarting without any particular reason, I is not certain that opening on any particular application cause this but the PC just restarts at any instant of time and this is the third time I am facing this problem and I dont know what to do please help me, what should I do to get rid of this problem ? Awaiting your answer thanks IMRAN...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PC keeps on restarting again and again without any reason
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PC keeps on restarting again and again without any reason
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What do you use to

In reply to: My PC keeps on restarting again and again without any reason

protect your computer against viruses, spyware and other malware?

Collapse -
Also,

In reply to: What do you use to

turn off ''Automatically restart'' in System Properties.

Start > Control Panel > System, in System Properties click the Advanced tab, then under ''Startup and Recovery'' click the ''Settings'' button, and remove the tick in the option ''Automatically restart''.

This allows you to see any error messages when it happens again.

Mark

Collapse -
Memory ?

In reply to: Also,

I had the same problem with this before. That was after i install a used memory(256MB) into the computer(orginal 256MB memory). since i turned off the automatic restart, I saw the problem: dumping physical memory...... dumping finished.. in blue background. and then manually turn off the power. After removing the memory, it works fine except slow. Sad

Above comment may be wired to someone thinks the memory does not matter at all. but it actually is happening to my PC.

Collapse -
re: Memory?

In reply to: Memory ?

Memory can certainly do this, and I've also seen a failing power supply do this as well.

Collapse -
Maybe Heat

In reply to: re: Memory?

If none of those things are the problem check your fans. Over heating of the cpu can cause wierd things to happen.

Collapse -
I will try it

In reply to: Memory ?

I have 4x2gb rams total 8gig will try using one by one and see if this happes

Collapse -
Done but still error persist. .. .

But after unchecking it ... ..my pc shows somewhat like blue screen showing the error for new hardware/software wrongly installed. .. ..plzz tell me the solution for it..... ..

Collapse -
Almost same error

Mostly its "driver sql" i dont really know but its written.. Uninstalled driver cleaned and updated.. Changed graphic card but same problm.. Used a very sman nvidia fx 256 mb card on game but stil pc hanged..

Collapse -
Used avast

Used avast trial system is cleaned and also using malwarebytes also cleaned

Collapse -
(NT) Pc for many reason get restarterd itself.

Post was last edited on March 17, 2016 7:13 AM PDT

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) virus slipped in or most likely heat of gpu or cpu

Collapse -
HEAT

Nine times our of ten you are either overheating the CPU or the power supply is faulty.

Collapse -
Not on my situation

In reply to: HEAT

My pc is doing the same thing. and I left the cover open. but it still doing the same thing. Heat may be the problem, but not necessary 9 out 10.
I cannot give a solution as i am trying to find one for mine also.

Personally I doubt it is the heat. However, you may just try left the cover open and blow a fan at it directly or get another power supply as BAMBAMRCK1 sugguested.

Collapse -
i have also the same problem.....

In reply to: Not on my situation

i have a toshiba laptop. and i do have the same prob. it restarts without any cause. i formatted my laptop 5-6 times and also changed the os from xp- home edition to proff. but for 1 week i didnot get ant prob. but after i faced the same prob.

if you experienced this and know the solution for this.

Collapse -
upgrade format

In reply to: i have also the same problem.....

If you haven't upgrade any hardware, I think it might be the hardisk problem. When you upgrading your OS, you better do a complete format, as delete the partition area, and then partition the whole hardisk. this can get rid of some unwanted spywares. one example as follows:

system commander 2002 was installed in windows 98, and after i formatted the hardisk using windows 98 disk(just format the drive, without un-partition it first), system commanders' file still exist in the hardisk after I tried to install windows 98.

above are my experience, and I believe that might help you in your case.

Collapse -
Similar Problem

My computer was having shut down problems and eventually I couldn't start at all. One problem was a conflict in my video card. Updating the drivers on the card helped.

I also took covers off and discovered an unknown CARPET OF DUST all over my motherboard, video card, everywhere. After cleaning off all the dust it seems to be running like new.

I also have to continually remove spy programs. They run in the background sucking up memory and doing all kinds of things.

Collapse -
cover

open cover causes overheating

Collapse -
I see that you haven't

In reply to: cover

done too much cooking.

An open saucepan takes quite a bit longer to boil than a saucepan with a lid on it. Why? Because the heat escapes from the open pan more quickly than it does a closed one.

An open cover would not cause overheating.

Mark

Collapse -
PCs ain't Pots

In reply to: I see that you haven't

Actually, High end computer cases are designed to direct the air flow where it needs to go for optimum cooling. So, in some cases your PC WILL run hotter with the case open. Not always, though.

Collapse -
Video Card

Had this problem once while I was setting up XP. I Hadn't loaded my video driver yet so I booted in safe mode, loaded video driver then rebooted normally and PRESTO! I was good to go ( maybe just luckey)

Collapse -
Dusty Job (PC shuts down at random intervals)

I, too had my XP PC Shutting down at odd times .

I changed various settings, changed the monitior etc.

But I then opened up the PC Case to find a heavy accumulation of DUST around the connections of the memory sticks.

I Cleaend the dust off theses memory sticks, cleaned up the whole PC insude includind all the fans and heatsinks( graphics card ,too) and lo and behold, Th PC works fine now.

PCs work best in a dust free environment.

Static electricity also allows thfor the accumulation of dust more quickly.

Chris ledsam

Collapse -
Firewall Problem

In reply to: Dusty Job (PC shuts down at random intervals)

After replacing memory, video card, power supply, cpu/motherboard and still having the shutdown problem, I discovered the problem was due to my firewall, Zone Alarm.

Collapse -
Overheating with cover off

In reply to: Firewall Problem

I don't think the saucepan analogy is totally on point. An engine at idle with the hood open and the fan inoperable will overheat. If the heat source does not have sufficient airflow (not just the ability to radiate heat into the air, but actual movement of air over the heated surface), heat can build up beyond acceptable levels. As others have mentioned, dust can add to the problem, too.

Collapse -
I agree with the cover not necessarily helping

In reply to: Overheating with cover off

The system is generally designed for a specific airflow travel path. Removing a cover and supplying forced air could work.
My last laptop computer stopped working on X-mas day. I would start up and then shutdown after about 7 seconds. Then repeat until I pulled the battery.
I couldn't get a good answer, but not long afterword I read something about a specific virus that could cause this affect. I don't remember the virus name. sorry.

Collapse -
how can Zonealarm do this?

No offense, I do run windows xp with ZoneAlarm 4.9X version. I had no problem with it at all. How was zonealarm do this to your computer?

Collapse -
Firewall Problem? Yes.

I too am running Widows XP Pro and had no trouble at all until I installed the latest edition of Zone Alarm. I then began to experience those obnoxious random shutdowns. I uninstalled Zone Alarm, and the problem disappeared.

Collapse -
probably then

In reply to: Firewall Problem? Yes.

I am running Zone Alarm 5.5.094 version. I did install the newest version (6.x), it was not good. in this case, I think it was the Zonealarm's problem. But I think if it was before version 5.5, it should be fine.

Collapse -
''Blame everything'' but the user -- the "one" in charge.

Most users are simply going to use their system as received regardless of who install it but there are a thousand and one things which they should become aware of. Most systems under a hundred years old without anything whatsoever done to it -- other than used -- will generally work well until it falls apart from old age. The environment it is used in is also important, just as it is for you. You start adding anything from software to hardware which includes Windows Updates and the sooner things begin to fall apart -- for one reason or another. A list of things to look at:

PART I:

1. The article [Q320299] explains that when you shut down your Windows XP-based computer, your computer may restart instead of shutting down and it may also restart unexpectedly while you are using the computer to perform certain tasks, which may occur if Windows is by default set to automatically restart when Windows stops responding and is further explained in ''How To Configure System Failure and Recovery Options in Windows (Q307973).''

2. It is reported in the article [Q873161] that after you install Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and you are prompted to restart the computer, the computer starts, but before you can log on, the computer begins to continuously restart. This problem occurs if you had a UMAX scanner driver installed on your computer and the resolution is to start the computer in Safe Mode, remove the UMAX driver, remove Windows XP SP2, and then reinstall Windows XP SP2.

3. The article [Q316416] explains that when browsing the Internet, your computer may restart unexpectedly and can occur if both of the following conditions are true:

? A broadband cable modem or an asymmetric digital subscriber line (ADSL) modem is installed on your system, and the modem is using drivers that cause a fatal system (STOP) error.

Note: Depending on your system configuration, the resulting blue-screen error message may not be displayed long enough for you to record the error information.

? The Automatically restart check box is selected under System failure in the Startup and Recovery dialog box (under System Properties).

4. The article [Q330181] explains the procedures for hopefully determining whether a hardware component is either damaged or is incompatible with WinXP.

PART II:

1. The article ''Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)'' explains - among other things - that running services and programs started automatically when you start your computer typically run all the time and uses a portion of your computer's system resources that cannot be used for any other task. The more used the slower your computer gets -- makes sense.

2. Are unnecessary Counter Logs used? Are they really necessary?

a. Click Start, Programs, Administrative Tools and then click Performance.

b. Double click Performance Logs and Alerts, Counter Logs and note what is listed in the details pane. A green icon indicates that a log is running; a red icon indicates that a log has been stopped.

c. If desired, you may also right-click a blank area of the details pane and click New Log Settings, enter a name for a log to create in the Name box:, and then click OK. Click General, Add, and select the counters wanted too. If you want to change the default file and schedule information, make the changes on the Log Files and Schedule tabs.

d. To remove whatever you wish to circumvent running/logging simple highlight the name of the counter in the legend in the System Monitor details pane and press the Delete key.

3. After Internet Explorer and Internet Tools are installed, the Internet Explorer Customization Wizard can be run to use the wizard's AVS feature to obtain any updated or new components released by Microsoft that have become available since deploying Internet Explorer, which then becomes part of the everyday updated browser package. Do you want this running all the time? The update notification page notification can be turned off using the IEAK Profile Manager:

a. Click Start, Programs (in Windows XP, click All Programs), Microsoft IEAK 6, IEAK Profile Manager.

b. Click File, Open, and then open the .ins file for the custom browser package.

c. On the left side, under Policies and Restrictions, click Internet Settings, Advanced.

d. On the right side, clear the Automatically check for Internet Explorer updates check box.

e. Click File, Save as: and type a name for the file, keeping its .ins file extension.

Note: After disabling, it can still be turned on in the browser. To disable the page completely so it cannot be enable it in the browser, set the Update check interval to a value of zero.

4. Supplemental reading:

a. ''Disabling AutoUpdate Service in Control Panel Does Not Shut Down the Service (Q283151).''

b. ''Description of the Windows XP Logman.exe, Relog.exe, and Typeperf.exe Tools (Q303133).''

c. ''Failure Events Are Logged When the Welcome Screen Is Enabled (Q305822).''

d. ''HOW TO: Configure Recovery Techniques in Windows XP (Q307973)'', concerning severe errors (also called a fatal system error, or stop error)

e. ''HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417).''

f. ''HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423).''

g. ''HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer (Q308427).''

h. ''HOW TO: Set Up Administrative Alerts in Windows XP (Q310490).''

i. ''Windows XP May Slow Down If Users Are Logged On with Fast User Switching (Q312058).''

5. After enabling the Run logon scripts synchronously policy setting, Windows directs the system to wait for the logon scripts to finish running before it starts the interface program and creates the desktop and these ''Scripts May Not Run Before Windows Explorer Starts Even Though the ''Run Logon Scripts Synchronously'' Setting is Enabled (Q304970)'' and occurs because a logon performance enhancement is enabled by default. This enhancement causes the computer to not wait for Group Policy processing before an environment is initialized.

6. '' Services'' (click to see an example screenshot) are programs that run when the computer is booted and continue to run as they aid system functionality. You will find many services loaded and are simply not needed which take up memory space and CPU time. Circumventing those unneeded services will free up system resources and speed up overall computer operation.

a. Click Start, Run type services.msc and then press Enter.

b. The Services applet will load listing services currently in session/use. What you have to consider/decide is which service(s) is/are not right for you -- good luck.

c. Please review the topics:

(1) The article ''HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP (Q316434)'' provides a partial list of core operating system services that load and varies according to the services that are installed and the version of Windows XP used. If automatic events and services constantly run and eat up system resources, perhaps eliminating those consider extraneous and unnecessary could help improve system performance. Remember, they can always be reinstated.

(2) ''Default settings for services.''

(3) ''A Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP (Q314056).''

d. To configure how a service is started:

(1) Open Services and right-click the service to configure, and then click Properties.

(2) On the General tab, in the Startup type box, click either Automatic, Manual, or Disabled.

(3) To specify the user account that the service can use to log on, click the Log On tab, and then do one of the following:

(a) To specify that the service use the LocalSystem account, click Local System account.

(b) To specify that the service use the LocalService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\LocalService.

(c) To specify that the service use the NetworkService account, click This account, and then type NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService.

(d) To specify another account, click This account, click Browse, and then specify a user account in the Select User dialog box. When you are finished, click OK.

(e) Type the password for the user account in the Password box and in the Confirm password box, and then click OK.

e. Interesting reading:

? ''System Services for the Windows Server 2003 Family and Windows XP Operating Systems.'' Read the topic ''Workstations'' specifically, and if it is not needed, disable.

? ''Black Viper's Windows XP Services Configurations.''

? ''Windows XP Tweaking Guide - VIA/Arena.''

f. Please note, that if a service runs for catalog indexing such as Cidaemon.exe that is discussed in the Win2k article [Q156756], further discussed in [Q308202] for both Win2k and WinXP, it is suggested that some testing be conducted to perhaps check whether certain services are necessary and used only after you read the article, ''HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP (Q308423).''

7. If you have thousands of files on your computer, you may speed up your searches by turning on the ''Indexing Service'' to run in the background (the equivalent of FastFind previously used on older Windows systems which everybody learned to do without). If you don't have thousands of documents to search through, you're unlikely to benefit much from indexing. Please note that if the number of documents is large, insufficient memory will seriously affect performance. You can also improve performance by adding more memory and increasing the amount of memory dedicated to mapping the property cache. A faster CPU and hard drive improves the performance of indexing and the speed of processing queries as well.

a. From My Computer, right-click the hard drive and select Properties.

b. Note the entry at the bottom labeled ''Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches''.

c. Uncheck the box and then click OK.

d. An applet will pop-up prompting whether to apply this option to all folders and subfolders.

8. A ''memory leak occurs'' when a memory pool allocates some of its memory to a process and the process does not return the memory. When this happens repeatedly, the memory pool is depleted, [Q130926]. Are there any on your system which create this anomaly?

9. The ''System Configuration Utility (MSCONFIG.EXE) (Q310560) can be used to prevent unnecessary items from loading when a system is started (Click here to see an example screenshot).

Note: If you change any startup setting by using System Configuration Utility, the following message appears the next time you log on to the system:

? You have used the System Configuration Utility to change the way Windows starts.

? The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

? Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

10. Hint: It is not necessary for a user to log off the computer since a user's account is always logged on and the user can switch quickly between all open accounts. For example, Dad comes home and starts using his machine. He opens Microsoft PowerPoint

Collapse -
Check the power supply

With the system you described, it is possible the power supply simply does not have enough volts/watts to meet the needs. If it is an underpowered power supply, the issue only presents it ?self when all of the devises (or a majority) are taxing the system.

"Been there, done that" when I fought these problems for months before I realized the culprit.

Collapse -
Supply is big

In reply to: Check the power supply

Its original dell supply of 1000 watts with 4x 6 pin connector

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.