Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My PC just "corrupted"

by Denise2196 / March 22, 2006 12:42 PM PST

I changed some start up settings, and when the pc restarted everything was wrong. Media players didnt work; printer driver just disappeared; Outlook Express was messed up; AIM couldnt log on; and the desktop toolbar changed color. Will some1 plz help me, can I still fix this somehow or I just have to reinstall the OS?
ps:System restore was all erased 2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My PC just "corrupted"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My PC just "corrupted"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
what have you changed?
by kwokwai -space4english / March 22, 2006 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: My PC just "corrupted"

Did you edit those setting in Msconfig?
You may set it back to "Default", and see if this can help!

Collapse -
try this
by kulfi / March 22, 2006 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: what have you changed?
Collapse -
how do you restore default?
by Denise2196 / March 23, 2006 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: what have you changed?

and all my hardware drivers are messed up. does that have anything to do with the setting?

Collapse -
What settings?
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2006 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: My PC just "corrupted"

Do you remember what settings you were playing with? (Was it MSConfig? Was it a third-party program? Was it the registry?) Anything you can tell us would help, even if it's just a vague description of the box you used to change the settings, or what you were intending on doing.

What color did the task bar change to? Does it still look 'normal' or is it deformed? (Serious question.) Also, what do you mean System Restore's was erased? Do you just mean the shortcut in the Start menu? Have you tried going start->run, typing in msconfig and clicking "Launch System Restore?" If you can get System restore to run you may be able to restore to a time before you made the changes and fix this fairly easily.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
it was msconfig
by Denise2196 / March 23, 2006 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: What settings?

thank you anyways

Collapse -
That's good!
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2006 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: it was msconfig

The fact that you were modifying things in MSConfig is a very good thing, because it means you simply disabled items...you didn't delete anything, nor did you change anything that can't be easily restored. All you have to do to undo what you did is go start->run, type in msconfig and on the general tab you'll see three options..."normal startup," "diagnostic startup," and "selective startup." Select "Normal startup" and restart your computer when prompted. When it reboots, it will do so with all items enabled, like it did before you changed anything. If you want you can then give it a second go (but be more careful this time around), or leave it alone. Either way, everything should be back to normal. (Provided you didn't change anything anywhere else.)

Hope this helps and good luck.
John

Collapse -
problems
by Denise2196 / March 23, 2006 10:08 AM PST

the toolbar changed to color white, like W95 and W98. the settings I changed was the start-up settings. I just unchecked some boxes and that was it. btw, the audio drive is not right anymore,too. o man I hope I dont have to reinstall the OS again. I have so many files.
ps: my dad uses the outlook express. where are all the mails stored in? I wanta do some backup and prepare for the worst.

Collapse -
system restore
by Denise2196 / March 23, 2006 10:11 AM PST

o yeah also, the system restore's window opens all right, but all the previous check points were gone. thats why for a moment I thought I was just in safe mode, not messed up the whole thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?