PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My old pc graphics card is dead, need replacement...

by frigidfire22 / June 17, 2008 2:34 AM PDT

Basically I have a ati 9250 AGP 256MB, 512 MB of ram (I'm planning on getting another stick just not sure what kind of Ram it is at the moment), and my cpu is an Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz, and my wattage says 300 watt tested, 350 watt peak, and 290 watt dc output. So basically I'm unfamiliar with the older cards, I was looking for something better than the current card without having to upgrade any other components and avoiding something pricey.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My old pc graphics card is dead, need replacement...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My old pc graphics card is dead, need replacement...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 2:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Older video AGP sources
by Willy / June 17, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

There are really only two big AGP makers of these video cards. Effectively you google awya for such a vendor but the source usually refers to those two brands. I suggest as Robert mentioned to try tomshardware but check out these vendors for quick look see.

http://www geeks.com
http://www.newegg.com
hhtp://www.tigerdirect.com

Of course there are other vendors as well as checking eBay. Just beware of Ebay for the conditions and possible return(unlikely) of a bad card. I thought you'll need a better psu for the AGP style of video cards. Be sure to look at the specs and what the requirements are. good luck

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Your thoughts
by frigidfire22 / June 26, 2008 2:35 AM PDT

I know the websites to purchase them off of, I'm not that technically challenged. Anyway I was looking at this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121064

I'm hoping that it can work with my PSU without blowing it up. I need to check to see if I have the correct power connections. I believe the minimum wattage requirement is 300W but not certain. What are your opinions? Or is there a ATI card that can work with my low PSU watts that's better than my old card?

Collapse -
I'd avoid that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2008 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Your thoughts

While it's a nice silent card this one requires fantastic case airflow. There is also the matter it looks to be more Watts than the under 100 buck models I noted.
Bob

Collapse -
Well then...
by frigidfire22 / June 26, 2008 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: I'd avoid that one.

Best Buy has the card made by PNY and it says 300 Watt Minimum. So what card can I get then that fits my limited psu?

Collapse -
So bang for buck is not an issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Well then...

Go to best buy then.

Collapse -
new PSU?
by squirtlewa / June 26, 2008 1:58 PM PDT

A new PSU could be used after your done with your current system for something else, so not necessarily money down the tube . . .

Collapse -
Forget it...
by frigidfire22 / June 26, 2008 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: new PSU?

No I'm not going through the hassel of buying a new psu for such an old system. I don't have the money to shell out a psu and gpu. Forget it, I'll just save the money and buy a new tv, ps3, or go to a baseball game or something since I'm tired of looking for such an old crappy GPU.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?