Computer Help forum

General discussion

My next stage in buying new computer

by timmylish / January 25, 2011 7:15 PM PST

My next question in the ongoing search to purchase a new computer here on Tenerife (a very limited choice available here) relates to a printer. My 10 yr.old machine currently carries Xp Pro,(SP3) 32 bit and I need to purchase a multi-purpose Fax/copier/scanner/printer both for doing small jobs but to enable me keep in contact with my 90 yr old Father, in Scotland. If I buy one now, possibly wi-fi but cheap (Canon Pixma MX 320/340 seem to fit the bill but running costs severe)will the same machine hook up with any new computer I purchase soon? I think my confusion is will such a machine convert from 32 to 64 bit without any problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My next stage in buying new computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My next stage in buying new computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
my next stage in buying new computer
by timmylish / January 25, 2011 7:23 PM PST

In addition to the above question when I get a new computer with Windows 7, since I reside on an Island which is part of Spain, the only sources open to purchase will of course deliver the machine in Spanish. I want the machine changed to English operating. Now it seems to me that I could pay more and have Ultimate installed (although the vendors I have approached don,t seem to carry this version very readily) or, I have read somewhere on my visits here that something can be changed (in the Bios) which tells the computer to perform in English, or am I wrong? Any suggestions because I,ve tried to get the vendors not to install 7 and I would provide a newly purchased English version on the internet! They ain,t too happy to discuss this!

Collapse -
Re: new computer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2011 7:38 PM PST

Surely buy the PC with the English OS. There's no option to change that later. The vendor can choose
- demonstrate that it is English/USA if he installs the OS
- sell you the DVD with the English/USA version so you can install it yourself
- sell you the PC without OS so you buy it yourself somewhere on the net
If he's doing none, find another vendor.

Kees

Collapse -
If no luck with a local shop ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2011 8:45 PM PST
In reply to: Re: new computer

try Dell. They might offer an English OS on their site or maybe you have to phone them.

They assemble the PC in Ireland or Poland and send it to you via Fedex. And once they have an English language PC, it's delivered in Tenerife with just as little trouble and just as fast as when it would be sent to the UK (what they do several hundreds a day). They don't care at all.

Kees

Collapse -
If no luck witha local shop
by timmylish / January 25, 2011 9:55 PM PST

I had previously contacted Dell who re-directed me to Dell.es so I rather went round in circles with that one. However it is probably worth investigating this, if I can find THE computer for me from Dell!

Collapse -
new computer
by timmylish / January 25, 2011 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re: new computer

Much as I would like to follow your advice, unfortunately here on Tenerife, no vendors supply ready built computers with ANY English products. As to selling with no operating system, I,ve already pointed out that I cannot find a vendor prepared to do this!

Collapse -
Re:printer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 25, 2011 7:40 PM PST

No problem. Windows 7 comes with Canon drivers that will support a new Canon printer you buy. If it's so new that the drivers aren't on the DVD (unlikely) you can download them.

Otherwise, nobody would be able to use that printer in Windows 7, so nobody would buy it. That's not what they want!

Kees

Collapse -
Re; printer
by timmylish / January 25, 2011 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: Re:printer

I am very much obliged to you for this information. Just what I come on here for!

Collapse -
For the printer
by Jimmy Greystone / January 25, 2011 9:23 PM PST

For the printer, just check the website for the printer. See if they offer 64-bit driver downloads. If yes, you're good to go, if not, keep looking. But with almost every computer coming with 4-6GB of RAM these days, aside from netbooks, the age of 64-bit Windows is pretty much here to stay, so almost everyone is making 64-bit drivers now.

And Windows is multilingual, so as long as you can read enough spanish to get into the lanugage settings, you can change it to english yourself. And if you're living in Spain, then it would seem rather foolish not to be at least functionally literate in spanish. This has nothing to do with the BIOS, it's a part of Windows. The BIOS may forever be in spanish, but the odds of you needing to ever worry about that are probably pretty slim.

Collapse -
For the printer
by timmylish / January 25, 2011 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: For the printer

Thank you for your reply which is clear and helpful.
The reason I wish to have English installed from the start is quite simple. Our current computer has Xp-Pro as I,ve said but, unfortunately for me, since my wife is Russian speaking and she originally bought this machine, the installed version comes up in Russian whenever I try to do anything out of the ordinary, d/l loading programmes, actually performing tasks on the computer etc etc. This time its got to be English from the outset. Its looking more and more that I may have to follow the advice regarding Dell or go with 7 Ultimate!!!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.