Laptops forum

General discussion

My multiport converter is shutting down my laptop

Hello,
I have a Dell Latitude D430 running xp pro and recently purchased a Coolmax multiport converter to transfer some data from another drive. When I connect the USB cables to the laptop it just powers off the laptop. I know the converter works as I have tested it on another machine. Any ideas why it would take down the machine every time it is connected?

Thanks,

Berf

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My multiport converter is shutting down my laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My multiport converter is shutting down my laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
USB

In reply to: My multiport converter is shutting down my laptop

No idea why, but I have one WAG you can try. Try a powered USB Hub. Plug the hub into your laptop, then plug your gizmo into the hub.

Maybe it works maybe it just powers down your laptop. What's changing is that the powered hub should draw less power from your laptop than your gizmo directly. If that's whats causing the shut down, then maybe this will work around it.

Collapse -
This one?

http://www.directron.com/cd350combo.html

Sorry but I think its proper as its trying to use the USB as a hard disk power source. There are limits on some but not all machines so I don't expect anything but a proper supply to fix it.
Bob
Collapse -

In reply to: This one?

Thanks I will give it a go and see what happens. The converter has it's own power supply by the way.

B

Collapse -
This is why details are needed.

The unit I found by that name didn't have a power supply. There are other causes such as a re-loaded OS and some one forgetting motherboard drivers.

Collapse -

In reply to: This is why details are needed.

Ok, This is a 4 month old laptop and a month ago the hardrive failed. Dell sent me out a factory preloaded replacement that I installed. I have downloaded all win patches and updates but I have not checked into any driver omissions. Everything else works great but I will look into that.

Thanks again for all the help.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.