Mac OS forum

General discussion

My mouse

by PCfluent / February 12, 2006 9:29 PM PST

Hi, I recentely got a mouse that probably hasn't got mac drivers by default but it probably doesn't relate to this particular problem. This is a mouse from my old aunt and it's got a ps2 connection. I bought a ps2/usb adaptor recentely to connect it to my imac g5 (without isight) and as you may know it's got USB 2 ports. The thing is, this mouse looks old enough to be USB 1.0. Anyways, sometimes when I use the mouse, the cursor freezes on the screen for a while. A way to stop this is to pick the mouse up off the desk and wait for the optical sensor to dim. When this happens, the cursor can move again, is there any way I can prevent or stop this?

Mac OS X 10.4.4 Tiger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My mouse
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My mouse
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Mouse
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 12, 2006 10:09 PM PST
In reply to: My mouse

My suggestion is that you pony up the $20, or less, and buy a real USB mouse for your iMac G5. What happened to the USB mouse (Mighty Mouse) that came with it?
If you did not get the mighty mouse with your iMac, and are using the OLD PS/2 mouse because it has two buttons, my first suggestion still applies.
Most mouse devices are USB 1.0 as there is no requirement for the extra speed that USB 2.0 claims.
Unless this legacy mouse has sentimental value, ditch it and get a real USB mouse.

P

Collapse -
Mighty Mouse SUCKS
by PCfluent / February 19, 2006 4:25 PM PST
In reply to: The Mouse

Hey thanks for replying.
I have a Mighty Mouse, I bought it extra. But it sucks, I H.A.T.E the squeezie side buttons, I want a real mouse and I'm saving up for a new Logitech Laser one (or ms one). I think that the problem with this ps2 mouse is that it has a too slow tracking speed or it has some kind of blind spot or something in it's optics that prevents it the mouse cursor from moving (or the mouse working).

Collapse -
Mighty Mouse
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2006 8:51 PM PST
In reply to: Mighty Mouse SUCKS

The mighty mouse takes a little getting used to but the left and right clicks do NOT involve "squeezie side buttons"
Left and right is done by pressing on the left and right top ends, above the scroll wheel.
It is possible to disable the left and right "squeezie" buttons so that nothing happens when you squeeze the sides.
I guess you keep getting the Dashboard or Expos

Collapse -
That's exactly what happens
by PCfluent / February 20, 2006 4:13 PM PST
In reply to: Mighty Mouse

The side buttons were set so that they activated expose which is really irritating. I know how to use the mouse buttons (duh), but the scroll wheel will probably give you RSS (Repetitive Stress Syndrome) so I'd rather not use it. The mouse is overall quite wierd too.
I guess this is just one of a few things that I dislike about Apple (not the OS-just isolated things).
aNt

Collapse -
Mighty Mouse- Perfect!
by festera1 / February 20, 2006 6:11 PM PST
In reply to: Mighty Mouse

The mighty mouse is the best mouse I've ever used. The scroll wheel is small but extremely easy to use and the side buttons are just where they need to be. Love it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?