Storage forum

General discussion

My motherboard couldn't detact my new harddisk

I am using AMD K6 2/400 CPU P5 SS-ME mainboard, recently I bought a new 40 G harddisk try to replace with the defeat one ( which is only 6 G ) and it couldn't detact even if I put the jumper on Master or Slave, and it can be detacted only when I put the jumper in CS ( cable select ) , and the motherboard can only reconized it in " Slave " mode, The data cable was correct, jumper was correct, is it because it cannot detect more than 40 G since it was only AMD K6 ?
Is there anything I can do ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My motherboard couldn't detact my new harddisk
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My motherboard couldn't detact my new harddisk
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems proper to me.

In reply to: My motherboard couldn't detact my new harddisk

You should be using an 80 conductor IDE cable which means CS is the right jumper. Master is determined by what connector you plug it into.

Bob

Collapse -
hard drive problem

In reply to: My motherboard couldn't detact my new harddisk

You didn't mention if you replaced the C:drive or a secondary drive. Assuming that you replaced the second drive.. Check to see what the C: drive jumpers are set at. Here is the proper way to set drives:
If your C:(boot)drive is set at CS (cable select) then the second drive has to be set at CS also. If the boot drive is set at Master then the second drive must be set as the Slave. The Master drive should be plugged into the end connector of the data cable with the slave plugged into the middle cable. Also, make sure no pins are bent and that the cable is properly seated to the drive.

good luck
Jack

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.