Mac OS forum

Question

my mini mac crashed during encrypting my hd using file vault

by mightyzorlac / February 1, 2014 4:08 AM PST

Bear with me I'm a newbie guys. I decided to encrypt my minimac with file vault 2 and halfway through the encrypting my mini mac crashed and reset itself.

It will not start up now and just displays a grey screen with a folder and a question mark.

I have run the mac disk utility first aid but it cant fix it when i boot into recovery mode. I bought disk warrior 4.4 thinking it could help. It just sees a locked drive so it can't fix it.

How do I unlock or turn off the encryption in order for me to run disk warrior and fix my drive?

Is their such a thing as typing a command into the terminal in recovery mode that will turn off the encryption?

Are there any other options to recover my files and programs that will restore my mac it to its previous state?I can see all the files and programs are still their on the drive in recovery mode.

I'm running Mavericks OS . Hoping anyone can help please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my mini mac crashed during encrypting my hd using file vault
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my mini mac crashed during encrypting my hd using file vault
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: file vault
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 4:21 AM PST

After reading http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4790, I'm afraid that your disk - after half an encryption - is in a rather inconsistent state. My guess is that - if anybody can help - it's Apple. But I wouldn't be amazed if they tell that formatting the drive and reinstalling the OS is the only option to use this this machine again.

Let's hope you have a good backup of the things you prefer not to loose.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
For this one, head to Apple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 4:24 AM PST

I'll spare you a little of my other thoughts but new or not, where's the backup of what you can't lose? That is, all computer owners should prepare for the usual drive failures.

Since it's Apple's product, ask them what next.
Bob

Collapse -
"After you've completed the process of turning on FileVault,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2014 4:44 AM PST

"After you've completed the process of turning on FileVault, you're prompted to restart your Mac. After restarting, a login screen appears. Select your account name and enter your password to continue.This unlocks the disk. Next, an Apple logo with a spinning gear underneath it appears, and the computer continues starting up.

The user account that unlocked the drive is automatically logged in after start up completes. The first time you log in after turning on FileVault, the initial encryption of your entire hard disk begins. It should complete within a few hours. This happens in the background, and doesn't interrupt normal usage of your computer. In addition to using your computer while encryption is happening, you can sleep, log out and even turn off your computer during this time. Encryption continues when your computer is powered on again."

From Kees's link.

What this tells me is that something bad happened. I wonder if there is more to this story such as an antivirus was installed or there were other hardware issues involved.
Bob

Collapse -
my drive will not even start up i just get a grey screen
by mightyzorlac / February 9, 2014 11:48 PM PST

I start my mac up everytime now and I get a grey screen with a folder with a question mark flashing.So how can I unlock my drive ie take the file encryption off?

Then i could use disk warrior to repair the drive.

bearing in mind i've tried apple disk repair utility first and that could not fix or repair the drive.

Any thoughts anyone?

Collapse -
This one is for Apple to answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 1:27 AM PST

It's not as if you had any other odd software installed like an AntiVirus that could have got in the way.

Apple did this one and I don't see any chatter on the web to answer your question. My answer is to restore from backup.
Bob

Collapse -
If you have an OS X installation disk,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 10, 2014 7:08 AM PST

insert that and boot from it.

Use DU from the installation disk.

Otherwise, hold down the "R" key at startup to enter Recovery mode
OR
hold down the Option key to choose an alternate boot disk

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?