HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

My mini ipod switched to this weird language, help!

by hbgowest / January 30, 2006 8:59 AM PST

Ok this is kind of a long story and I am extremely mad at myself right now. But I usually use my Mac computer to put my music onto my ipod, but the mac is broken so its in the shop. so i got this bright idea that maybe i could hook it up to my laptop and install the new songs onto the ipod along with the ones that were already on there. i was installing the ipod software and i had my ipod mini hooked up to the computer, and then i saw that it said "reformatting ipod" and i realized it was erasing all my stuff that was on there (like 800 songs or more) so i unplugged it (bad idea of course but i wasn't thinking) now my main menu is in this really weird language and i have no idea how to fix it! of course it erased all my songs, but if i could just make it go back to english i'de be happy. it looks like japanese or chinese, and i can't understand what anything means. the thing is though, when i go into the playlists, or artist lists, it has those in english, but the main menu and all the options are all the that weird language. does anyone know how i could fix this????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My mini ipod switched to this weird language, help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My mini ipod switched to this weird language, help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
one more thing
by hbgowest / January 30, 2006 9:06 AM PST

one more thing i forgot. when i hook up the mini ipod to the computer, it gives me the message that says something like "do not unplug" or whatever, you know it tells you not to unplug the ipod until it is finished updating the songs etc. the thing is it is always in this mode, the computer is done updating the songs and the ipod still says not to unplug it.

Collapse -
Reset the iPod
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 31, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: one more thing

Take a look at the instruction manual and, following the instructions, reset the iPod.
Then wait until you mac comes back, reformat it for Mac and reload all the tracks back on to it.
As you just discovered, a Windows PC and a Windows iPod use a different disk format than that used by the Mac versions. While the Mac can read and write to a PC formatted iPod, the PC cannot read or write a Mac formatted one. Hence the need for a reformat.
Resetting the iPod will, of course, destroy any tracks you may have on it, but I understand that is the case already.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.