Desktops forum

General discussion

My Main drive (C) shows as removable hardware. Why

by J J / February 1, 2009 9:03 PM PST

Hi I have a new (to me) 6 months old computer. It was built by a friend of a friend. It has a Asus mainboard and as I say the main drive shows as removable hardware. It works fine I'm just worried I accidentally hit remove device! Would I then be in loads of trouble trying to start my PC.Also I would like to know why it shows like this.

Many Thanks J J

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Main drive (C) shows as removable hardware. Why
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Main drive (C) shows as removable hardware. Why
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you have a SATA drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 11:02 PM PST

Look in Device Manager> harddrive> Properties> policies. If there two choices available there try Opimize for performance. This may make the drive disappear from the tray.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by J J / February 1, 2009 11:22 PM PST

Hi Bob, thanks for your answer. I have checked as you suggested and it is already set to "optimize for performance" so no good. But is this a thing with sata drives? Should I just ignore it?

Thanks JJ

Collapse -
SATA can be ESATA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2009 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I won't define what those are since you can research such but since it can be so, it could be removable.

Look around for any checkbox with the word "removeable" for that drive.
Bob

PS. Not an issue so far, just annoying to some.

Collapse -
if C: is boot drive, it has to be a registry error
by ramarc / February 2, 2009 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: SATA can be ESATA

windows will not install on a device that it thinks is removeable. (it can be fooled into doing so, but then i would question the legality of the install. you typically have to install it onto a fixed drive then clone that onto a removeable drive.)

Collapse -
Sorry. Some catchup on the new tech is needed here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 12:45 AM PST

I had hoped that simple research about ESATA would be fine here. This is a new area and predates XP so XP could label it as removable.

This is not a registry error. It's an option.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you everybody
by J J / February 2, 2009 2:06 AM PST

Wow complicated eh! I will just put up with it and be careful not click on "remove hardware" for that drive.

Thanks everybody though.

Collapse -
PS. More about hiding it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you everybody
Collapse -
Cheers Bob
by J J / February 2, 2009 3:34 AM PST

Thanks, think I'm just going to leave it alone.
J J

Collapse -
vista won't install on a device that's considered removable.
by ramarc / February 2, 2009 5:31 AM PST

no version of windows will install (from official media) on a device that windows detects is removeable. it matters not if it's usb or firewire or esata or scsi hot-plug. if windows detects the device is removeable it will not install to it. that's an immutable fact.

so the install could have been done to a fixed device and then somehow migrated to the removeable device. that's why i question the legality of the install.

also, HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum registry entries contain device descriptors which identify the characteristics of a drive. this is done so drive capabilities don't have to be fully re-enumerated when booting. an error (or manipulation) in the registry can make a fixed drive appear to be removeable. copying an install from one drive to another can have the same effect.

Collapse -
Bit heavy for me
by J J / February 2, 2009 5:46 AM PST

Hi I think I got what you are saying I'm not knowledgeable about computing but I have looked inside the PC and it is all connected up in the normal way and it is a fixed hard drive the OS (XP Pro) is legal and updates via Microsoft. But if as you say a copy has been copied from one drive to another it's still a hard drive and not removable. Please forgive me if I'm sounding stupid to you but I am in the land of fog,mud and whats that burning smell at the moment, but many thanks for your responses.

J J

Collapse -
Please take some time to consider.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 10:53 PM PST

That here we have windows installed and the boot drive is marked removable as it's in the tray.

I've seen this often with XP, SATA connected drives and Windows installs just fine. Vista seems to understand SATA much better and will not mark the boot drive as removable.

After a few hundred installs you just gotta wonder what is immutable and what is not.
Bob

Collapse -
Aint that the truth
by J J / February 3, 2009 7:53 PM PST

Thanks for your comments Bob I'm just going to leave all alone. Many thanks JJ

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!