Question

My mail contacts have been hacked and sent advertizing email

to my contacts.
I have Zone Alerm, Superantispyware, Malaware's bytes, Adaware and other security utilies running timely.
How they hack my contacts and what should I do about it?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My mail contacts have been hacked and sent advertizing email
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My mail contacts have been hacked and sent advertizing email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
None of what you listed ...

and ANTI_VIRUS utilities. Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware are NOT the same although they can overlap a little in some areas.

It looks like you may have either allowed some malware aboard your computer that copied your contacts list and sends spam to them or you may simply be unfortunate enough to have someone somewhere spoofing your email address.

Are you sure it is ALL your contacts or is it just a couple of them? The header section of the emails received will show the originating IP address.

Download RKILL and run it. After running it run scans with your ANTI_VIRUS application and with Malware Bytes and do these scans WITHOUT RE-BOOTING after running RKILL. Here is a link to RKILL and info on exactly what it is and what it does and how to use it. READ the info on the link because it tells you about possible "Warnings" that may [pop up on your screen - knowing about them and why they show up will help you avoid heartburn.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

- Collapse -
Answer
Follow up

First thing I did was to run all my virus and adware programs. Super Antispyware found 7 ad related cookies which I deleted.
Then i changed my email password
However a short time afterwards, a new wave of advertizing emails hit all my contacts.
I am desparate, please help
How do I secure my email?

CNET Forums