MacBooks forum

General discussion

My MacBook Pro won't wake up

by bedat11 / May 19, 2010 2:25 PM PDT

I own a 2009 13" MacBook Pro. Whenever I close the lid to my computer and open the lid later the computer remains sleeping. This happens more than often. There have been times when I open the lid everything works properly with the screen prompting me to enter the password. So I'm not sure what triggers the issue. Whenever the computer remains sleeping I've tried taping the mousepad and the keyboard, but never get a response. The only thing that seems to work is using the power button which either returns me to the screen prompting me to enter my password or restarting the computer entirely. What is causing my MacBook to remain sleeping sometimes?

-Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My MacBook Pro won't wake up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My MacBook Pro won't wake up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IF this machine is still under warranty,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 19, 2010 9:58 PM PDT

call Apple and tell them about the problem.

They should be able to walk you through some troubleshooting procedures

P

Collapse -
Just out of curiosity
by Jimmy Greystone / May 19, 2010 11:53 PM PDT

Just out of curiosity, the times you can get it to respond and it asks you to log back in, is everything the way you left it when you closed the lid or has everything disappeared?

I will agree calling this into Apple, or taking it to an Apple Store is probably your best bet. There's probably at least a 90% chance this is a hardware failure. Probably a bad capacitor or two on the logic board, and the symptoms will only get worse over time.

Hopefully the system is still under warranty, because if it's not, then you should probably just start looking at a new laptop. This would also be an excellent time to consider the AppleCare plan if your warranty is about to expire. Out of warranty, if I'm right about the logic board, you're probably looking at around $500 to repair. IIRC, the AppleCare plan for the 13" MBP is $250 for an extra 2 years. So say the next logic board craps out on you in 1.5 years time, you just cut the repair cost in half. Hard drives are also a pretty common source of failure in laptops, and the thinner laptops get the less there is to help absorb some of the little daily shocks a laptop takes. Anything but your battery and accidental damage are covered.

Collapse -
Something to try
by LSharken / May 28, 2010 10:14 AM PDT

I have had similar problems with my MacBook not waking up. I discovered that when I plugged in a USB mouse, it suddenly woke up! Whenever this has happened the keyboard and track pad are frozen and don't work, so they are useless and all I cam do is quit out of programs with the mouse, then select shut down and reboot the computer. Once I have rebooted the system, everything would work fine. I have no idea what causes this to happen, but this trick has worked as a solution for me. So now I make sure I always have a USB mouse handy just in case my MacBook turns into a zombie again. I have brought it to be looked over by the Apple store's techs, but of course we could never recreate the problem on the spot and it passed all diagnostic tests, so I have yet to find out why this happens. At least I figured out that I can get the computer to wake up with the mouse. Maybe this might work for you too. It's worth a try. Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!