MacBooks forum

General discussion

My MacBook gets hot and the fan runs full-speed when idle!

by grtgrfx / October 19, 2008 7:56 AM PDT

I have an early 2008 Black MacBook with 4GB of RAM and the stock 160GB hard drive. Sometimes, when I have only Mail and Safari open and am just browsing emails, the fan starts to run full speed, and the internal temperature reaches 180

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My MacBook gets hot and the fan runs full-speed when idle!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My MacBook gets hot and the fan runs full-speed when idle!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Check this.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

Make sure that there are no obstructions in the vents on the case.
Believe it or not, one of the overheating problems on the Macbook was caused by a strip of protective film that was over the vents below the screen. Check there too.

P

Collapse -
Nope, it's just sitting...
by grtgrfx / October 19, 2008 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Check this.

around unobstructed on a table. Now if Apple were stupid enough to put vents on the bottom of a laptop, I'd be in trouble, lol!

Collapse -
Targus Chillmat
by LSharken / October 24, 2008 4:28 PM PDT

I had a very similar problem. I bought one of the Targus Chill Mats with two fans it in, and I have not had any more problems since I started using it. They're fairly inexpensive and you can find them for about $25 at Circuit City or similar stores. They're frequently on sale. It plugs into the USB port. The computer sits on top of it, and the fans run when the computer is on. It really does the job to keep the computer cool. I haven't had the internal fan go on even once since I started using it a few years ago. The older models of the Chill Mat are thinner and flatter, but the new ones are a bit thicker and the fans are bigger and stronger. That's the better one to get, in my opinion. It's definitely worth the investment. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
Laptop fan runs
by wcrutcher / October 24, 2008 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Targus Chillmat

I assume you have the widget that gives you the temp information.

I had a similar problem with a new iMac and it had a faulty temperature sensor.

I would suggest you take it to an Apple store and get it fixed while it is in warranty.

Collapse -
I'll bet you're right about a faulty temperature sensor...
by grtgrfx / October 25, 2008 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptop fan runs

I will go to an Apple store and ask to check the temp sensor. They'll probably need to send it to the repair depot though, which means I'll be without the laptop for up to a week.

Collapse -
Same Issue
by madeinak79 / October 25, 2008 11:40 AM PDT

I recently had the same issue. I took my MacBook Pro to the Apple store. They ran a full diagnostic on it, and it came back clear. They told me that yes, MacBook's get hot, that is why they are called portable and not laptops. The "Genius" I dealt with told me that some people do use those cooling pads, but they aren't really necessary. Apparently the MacBooks were designed to dissipate heat through the case, so if they are on a flat solid surface they perform better. Since I got mine back I've been more cognizant of how often I use it on my lap, and how often I leave it sitting on a table. With it being on a table more it hasn't been nearly as hot. Oh, and I was also told not to waste my money on a lap table with fans in it, a cutting board works just fine.

Collapse -
Hmmm...
by adscram14 / November 7, 2008 8:17 PM PST

This might not seem like help...but call 1-800-MY-APPLE. I have a late 2007 black MacBook that cracked and I called them and they told me I was out of phone warranty, but he let me talk. They told me to ship it to them or to take it to my local Apple store. I took it to the Apple store, and it was fixed.

Collapse -
Safari?
by Norseman_IV / November 12, 2008 11:08 PM PST

I have experienced the same issue lately with my late 2007 MacBook. Just cannot remember which SW update for which app I installed previous to the problem. I am running MS Office apps, Mail & Safari simultaneously - and the problem goes away when quitting the browser. Some processor-intensive web pages makes the fan start, but it keeps on going long after I close them, so it might be something going on in the background that should have been closed down. Just speculating - but the fan turns off when Safari is closed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?