HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Log In Screen No Longer Loads At Boot-Up...

by analyzerbunny / September 17, 2009 9:02 AM PDT

Hello,

My computer is having a problem; the log in screen will not load anymore when the computer boots up.

System is XP Pro with SP3 with Internet Explorer 8 installed and the latest version of Firefox and the latest Java module installed.

The computer was running fine until Sept 2nd.

2 optional Microsoft updates were available for the system, and I decided to download them.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family update for .NET Framework versions 2.0 through 3.5.

Also downloaded was an update for the Root Certificates.

However, I did not close the window showing the updates that had been downloaded and went to shut down the computer.

Upon shutting down the computer twice windows popped up asking if I wanted to ?End Program Now.?

However, I decided to leave it alone and let it do its thing, and it appeared it was do so.

Files were extracted as the programs were being ended and in the last phase of the shut down process, it showed ?Updates 1 of 2 being installed?. Then ?Update 2 of 2 being installed?.

Unfortunately, when I started up the computer again, the log in screen did not load.

Instead, the ?Welcome? screen sat on screen for much longer than normal, and the computer then went straight to the desktop.

When the desktop loaded, a notification had loaded in the start menu informing me there were updates ready for installation.

When I opened the window to see what the updates were; they were the 2 updates that the computer had already shown has having been installed when the computer was just shut down.

Perplexed, I went ahead and ?re-installed? the 2 updates, and they did, for upon shutting the computer down again, it showed no updates where being installed during the shut down process.

My hope was after knowing the 2 updates had finally actually installed on my computer the log in screen would load when I booted up the computer again. But, it didn?t.

The log in screen does load when the computer has been in stand by mode but no longer when the computer starts up.

Every week, I scan my computer with multiple programs for viruses, spyware etc. and the day after the odd problem with trying to install the 2 Microsoft updates and the resulting disappearance of my log in screen, it was ?Scan Day?.

I scanned with Emsisoft?s online scanner, Avast (latest version done with a thorough scan including archive files done with system up and running and a boot up scan), Spyware Terminator, Panda?s online scanner, Malware Bytes (latest version, complete scan) Trend Micros Online scanner 6.5 and Trend Micro?s online Beta Scanner Version 7, Spyware Doctor, Bit Defender?s online scanner and ESET?s online scanner

The following problems were found?

ESET Online Scanner Results:
C:\Program Files\MSConfig CleanUp\MSConfigCleanUp.exe probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus deleted ? quarantine

Bit Defender Online Scanner Results:
Scanned File
Status
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\DSSM.EXE
Infected with: Trojan.Generic.2243894
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\DSSM.EXE
Deleted
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSTORE.EXE
Infected with: Trojan.Generic.2245159
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSTORE.EXE
Deleted
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B87192A5-4E71-43CB-821E-0E30DC25E5AF}\RP404\A0040790.EXE
Infected with: Trojan.Generic.2243894
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B87192A5-4E71-43CB-821E-0E30DC25E5AF}\RP404\A0040790.EXE
Deleted
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B87192A5-4E71-43CB-821E-0E30DC25E5AF}\RP404\A0040791.EXE
Infected with: Trojan.Generic.2245159
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{B87192A5-4E71-43CB-821E-0E30DC25E5AF}\RP404\A0040791.EXE
Deleted

Despite the infections on my computer, I couldn?t see any files which were infected and deleted that would have affected the log in screen loading at start up; something seemed to point to what happened when I first attempted to install the 2 Microsoft updates.

It did, however, appear my System Restore program was rendered useless, for after cleaning the computer of the infections, in trying to solve the log in screen problem, I was unable to get System Restore to load any of the Restore Points I had created.

After finding and cleaning the infections on my computer, I scanned the heck out of the computer and even added Kaspersky?s online scanner to the list. Yet, since the above infections were found and cleaned, none of the programs have found anything but cookies. Yet, my log in screen still is not loading when the computer boots up.

I have attempted turning off all start up items in the MSconfig, but that didn?t help.

The ?User Accounts? setting shows ?Use the Welcome screen? as being checked (a setting I?ve never fiddled with anyway), and I am the only one who uses the computer, so there?s no switching between different users on the computer.

Tune Up utilities (2009) shows the log in screen as being loaded and active.

Thinking perhaps changing the picture that loads when the log in screen is supposed to appear might solve the problem, I had Tune-Up change the log in screen picture. But, that didn?t help either. Neither did running Tune-Up to correct any problems (with the one click maintenance). Even doing a boot up scan of the drive with Tune-up no problems were found. I also had the program defrag the registry, but that didn?t solve the problem either.

In August, I downloaded and installed Spyware Blaster, Spyware Doctor and Spyware Terminator; none I had running in real time because I knew it would slow my dial-up internet connection to a crawl.
And, even after uninstalling all 3 programs using Revo Uninstalled, the problem with the log in screen not loading continues.

Using Windows ?Add and Remove? programs, I decided to uninstall the .NET Framework updates leaving only 1.0 and 1.1 hotfix on the computer thinking that might solve the problem, but it didn?t, and worse, now for some reason the .NET Framework update that downloaded automatically (I have automatic updates on) will not install.
I never made any changes to the bios settings (I tend to leave that alone).

So, after all this, I have no idea what has caused this and how to solve it, for I?ve done everything I can think of to troubleshoot the problem.

My concern is when I shut down the computer on September 2nd, and the Microsoft Updates which had downloaded were trying to install, and the system had to ?End Program? twice and extract the files in an attempt to install them the boot-up .ini file got corrupted, for I do not have the system software disk to run diagnostics and repair the file; the computer would have to go to the computer ?spa? for repairs.

Is there anyone out there who has any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Log In Screen No Longer Loads At Boot-Up...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Log In Screen No Longer Loads At Boot-Up...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.