LG forum

General discussion

My LG TV keeps going on and off

by jay_199407 / February 12, 2015 8:11 AM PST

I have an LG 42 inch TV and had it for about 3/4 years now and recently for the past week or so it keeps turning on and off by itself. When this happens I push in the power cord in at the back and it starts to work but same problem after a few hours. How can I fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My LG TV keeps going on and off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My LG TV keeps going on and off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you try a new power cord?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2015 8:58 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:
by jay_199407 / February 12, 2015 9:43 PM PST

No I didnt. The TV light comes on but when i turn it on it goes straight back to standby. It works now but then at any time it starts to mess about and do its own thing.

Collapse -
(NT) Why I asked. It's cheap, could be it, cheaper than the shop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2015 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
Re: My LG TV keeps going on and off
by LG_Electronics LG staff / February 13, 2015 2:37 AM PST

Hi jay_199407.
We regret to read that you're having issues with your TV set. It's hard to say what the issue may be without getting more information and doing more troubleshooting on this, however, I think there may be some things that might be at issues here of others that can be ruled out.
Usually when the power cuts on/off intermittently like that, had it been closer to the date of purchase, you might have suspected the power transformer. Typically what happens during transportation or when the unit is moved around while in storage is that it gets jostled around a lot and sometimes, the power transformer gets damaged. When you get the TV, this in most cases manifests itself within the first week or sooner thereafter, hence the 2 week store return policies. The other issue could be that the motherboard gets a hairline fracture which increases as time goes on. When you say that when you push in the power cord in the back of your TV, the TV starts working but that the problem reoccurs a few hours later may or may not be an indication of that. The only other thing that comes to mind may be that the relays have gone bad hence the unit intermittently cycling on/off. If the relays have gone bad, you probably would hear them clicking on/off during all this. As much as I hate to say it and I hope I am wrong, you may have an issue with the motherboard and depending on the severity of the damage, assuming that it is damaged, it might be costly to repair.
I am not a technician nor an engineer so I am not saying any of this is accurate, just offering suggestions on what might be a probable cause.
You can either contact the LG Customer Interactive Center at (800) 243-0000 for assistance with troubleshooting this & if needs be, you can then opt to set up a Service Call with either a Local Repair Provider or have LG pay you a visit. They should be able to give you an estimate so you can decide on how to proceed from there! If you need to set up the Service Call, you can also visit www.lg.com/us/support to do it online or you can engage in a live chat with an LG representative. Be sure to have the Model number and serial number for your TV handy. Give as much description of the issues you're having along with any description of when or how you have been able to get the TV to turn on...IFV

Collapse -
Re:
by jay_199407 / February 13, 2015 3:10 AM PST

Okay thank you for that how would i get into a live chat with lg. Is there a link you can possibly send me please?

Collapse -
3 that I am aware of
by jsfb6pts / February 9, 2016 7:16 AM PST

I have two LG Tv's both just over 4 years old .A LG Infinia 65LW6500 and aLG Infinia 47LW6500.
BOTH have just started having the same issue .I have a friend who also purchased the LG 55LW6500 .his is also doing it .
It is an LG problem

Collapse -
Class Action Suit
by 000000666666 / July 17, 2016 8:56 AM PDT

Everybody keep talking about their LG Tv's cutting off and wondering why. In most states their is a class action suit against LG. I have a 60" sitting in my basement that I haven't been able to use for two years but I'm going to hold on to it. They will have to pay or have to pay to have them fixed in the future. In the car business it's called a recall and the government steps in and makes them do it! Eventually with enough complaints the same thing will happen here.

Steve Porter

Collapse -
Class action law suit
by andreacattt / July 22, 2016 3:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Class Action Suit

How do I get in on the class action law suit?

Collapse -
Lg smart tv
by MrsTKirsch / December 5, 2016 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Class Action Suit

Is there a lawsuit against LG for the smart tvs? Mine keeps going on and of. The tv is only 3 1/2 years old.

Collapse -
MY LG did the same thing. Here is the problem.
by 12qwerbfjti / February 13, 2015 9:26 PM PST

My flat screen LG had the same problem after 1 year. I took it to an electrical friend very familiar with capacitor and resistor kind of electronics. He is very well regarded in his field. He took my TV apart and found all the capacitors (10, I believe) that were fatter then they should be. In other words blown out. He discovered the manufacturer of the capacitors used by LG were good for "up to" 12 volts. The key word here is "up to". He suspects the LG engineers saved a few cents per capacitor using these "up to" capacitors instead of 12 volt capacitors. This is causing the problem. He replaced the capacitors and my TV works good again.
I called the LG store I purchased the TV from. Obviously I was out of warranty. Quote was $150.00 plus service call to repair with the warning that it could be something else wrong. I suspect LG will deny this.

Collapse -
LG 32LD320-ZA powers on/off by itself
by Gi_Zeta / June 24, 2015 1:05 AM PDT

I've a similar problem on my 32LD320-ZA.
TV is in st-by mode: you torn it on with the remote command and it works properly for about 20 mins. Then it goes back in st-by and turns on after fiew minutes .. and continues to loop the in same way. Someone suggested me to replace the capacitors in the secondary section of power module; I've done it but the problem is still there ------ any ideas ??

Collapse -
Tell a little more. HOW OLD?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2015 8:47 AM PDT

I'm finding some models become heat sensitive and a good canned air on the vents session seems to fix a good percentage. THIS IS NOT A DESIGN DEFECT.

Here's a video on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0BQ6YUFaoY

This applies to almost any gear with vents. Figure we should do this yearly on flat screen TVs.

Collapse -
Not "dusted"
by Gi_Zeta / June 25, 2015 2:15 AM PDT

It's 4 years old but the problem is different. Now it's opened on my lab (a fresh lab) and does the same defect Sad

Collapse -
Then start changing boards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2015 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Not "dusted"

I take it you don't have a service manual (some are never published) so you use your prior experience on which to change first.

Those TVs that power cycle can have more than one defect. Can be uneconomical to repair.

Collapse -
My LG Roku tv powers on/off
by Puffyonwa / August 12, 2016 8:14 PM PDT

I have had my 55" LG Roku for barely 4months and it annoyingly powers on/off. I can't even use the damn thing, I'm so mad because I got this product from Best Buy as a Val gift for my girl. I think a class suit action should be instituted against LG. Please does anyone know how I can join the lawsuit?

Collapse -
Please clarify.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2016 8:21 PM PDT

The reason there are warranties is something called the bathtub curve. No maker has been able to ship products that are not subject to this issue.

If you were going to make a lawsuit, well, ... damn physics.

Collapse -
LG Tv
by Wgrace / June 27, 2015 4:27 AM PDT

I think you. should check it out. There is some problem.

Collapse -
Try this
by burghdog / August 5, 2015 9:08 AM PDT

My LG 60" led was doing the same thing. Every time I was in the middle of watching something it would shut off and turn on constantly. I unplugged it and took the back off the tv and blew the dust that accumulated in there and wiggled every connection to make sure nothing was loose. It's been 6 months and no problem since. Hope this works for whomever needs it. Good luck.

Collapse -
Here's a video. Notice the connector treatment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2015 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this
Collapse -
worked great
by jaymasten / January 19, 2016 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks, did this last night and it seems to have fixed the problem!

Collapse -
Your TV is naughy and needs a spanking!
by Rusty Stevens / December 1, 2015 7:15 AM PST

You might be surprised, but this fix has worked for HUNDREDS of users with the exact same problem - right where the power cord connects into the TV, give the TV an open-handed swat. Don't beat the crap out of it or anything, just one nice swat like you are smashing a bug.

Here is a thread that talks about this "fix" and how it has worked for so many:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-smart-tv-keeps-turning-off-then-on-again.1727795/page-2

From my personal experience I "swatted" my TV back in July, and it hasn't happened ONCE since! Good luck!

Collapse -
Naughty TV
by Karenski66 / October 31, 2016 10:28 AM PDT

LOL! Not only is this title hilarious (Your TV is naughty and needs a spanking) but it worked! I had tried the unplugging and all of that and this did it, THANK YOU!

Collapse -
Home fix
by Rexford15 / December 12, 2015 9:48 PM PST

I read that you wrote when you unplugged and plugged your power cord back in that it would work again for a while. I was having the exact same problem with my LG plasma turning off so I read all the forums and watched all the videos. I took the back off of mine and inspected the boards. Particularly the power board which everyone seems to agree usually holds the majority of the causes for this problem. What I discovered, while the back was off was that when the tv turned off if I applied a little pressure in the middle of the power board it clicked back on and stayed on for a while. Though It would eventually happen again. I'm thinking this is what happens when you unplug and plug back in your power cord. You're essentially applying pressure to the power board and it temporarily fixes the problem. So I fabricated about a two inch piece of hard plastic and duct taped it to the inside of the back panel right over the power board so that when I reattached it, it kept a constant pressure on the power board. I have not had the issue of my 50" plasma LG tv turning off by itself again.

Collapse -
My LG TV keeps going on and off - A possible solution
by Anushka_Hirebet / December 31, 2015 7:36 AM PST

I had similar issue of my LG LED 32" TV going intermittently off and on. I tried my luck using the blower side of a powerful vacuum cleaner. I forced the gushing air from the blower through all the vents of the TV back, top and sides. I also removed the power plug from the back side of the unit and blew the air. BINGO !!!! It worked. Its been 2 days now and the problem never occurred. Not sure if this would work with others. But it seems moisture plays pranks sometimes and therefore drying and blowing the unit helps. Good Luck !! Happy

Collapse -
Maybe Capacitors to blame?
by Lad33 / February 1, 2016 11:31 PM PST

I have the back off the TV. The two capacitors adjacent to the relays (which have clicked after the picture failed) have hard yellow material which looks like it has oozed out of them. Has anyone found them to be the problem? I have tapped the relays but the system only re-operates after switching off for a halfhour or so.

Collapse -
HDMI on LG flat screen goes off
by TrulyStormy / March 3, 2016 6:08 PM PST

I am playing a game on PS3 and it keeps going off. I was able to maneuver to the input screen on the tv and chose antenna and everything is fine. So it only seems to be when using HDMI. I switched to different HDMI ports and it fixes it for a while. But in antenna mode it works fine. Any input?

Collapse -
lg42"
by ssholmes / March 14, 2016 4:19 PM PDT

I have a lg 42" tv it keeps power cycling. I changed the power supply .and the power cord please help

Collapse -
Therea are priors on this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2016 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: lg42"

Top post this with full model number so your plea for help is not buried. Remember these are not TV repair forums. Just folk helping folk.

My idea? Get estimates.

Collapse -
MY LG TV keeps turning off and then comes back on by it self
by bellabooroo / April 15, 2016 9:40 PM PDT

i have am LG 55 inch TV and ill be watching tv and it just turns off for a min or two and then comes back on all by it self it is happening more and more all the time. i have checked all the plugs and cords and settings and so on and nothing is fixing it this is my first time owning an LG TV and i have to say it has not been a good experience so far maybe i will have to re think this owning an LG and purchase a different make.and i did call the 800 number and got disconnected so to frustrated now getting pissed off .

Collapse -
2013 LG 60 inch plasma same issue
by Vegas_Techie / April 21, 2016 5:56 PM PDT

Mine has the same issue, happens when I adjust volume, change the channel, and often just randomly turns off. It will not turn back on for 5 minutes to hours later. Obviously out of warranty and too heavy to lift to repair (and who can repair). Not happy at all with LG, it was not a cheap TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?