Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My Lavasoft Adaware will not finish scan

by indigoaven / July 17, 2006 2:24 PM PDT

I have had the personal build 1.06 for almost 2 years and have never had a problem with it. I just renewed my Norton Anti-virus and now when Adaware gets to scanning local memory c:\Program Files\CommonFiles\SymantecShared\SecurityConsole\NSC_Wit stops scanning. The program is running in the task manager and I left it on for 10 minutes to see if it would start again but nothing happens. I also updated the defintions I tryed running a full scan but it was the same. I also get the timer icon except to stop the scan. Do I need to unistall and re-download again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Lavasoft Adaware will not finish scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Lavasoft Adaware will not finish scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
techreader.. As a start..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 17, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

It might not be a bad idea to read through Ad-Aware Freezing at Castle Cop's Lavasoft's AAW Forum.

It may help..
Carol

Collapse -
personal build 1.06
by Marianna Schmudlach / July 18, 2006 1:10 AM PDT

The lastest version of Ad Aware SE is:

Build 1.06r1 - you'll find it at the bottom right.

the latest definition file (Reference Number} is:

SE1R115.17.07.2006

Is that what you have ? You can find it by clicking on "details".

Collapse -
Yes, that is what I have
by indigoaven / July 18, 2006 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: personal build 1.06

I just tryed another scan and it stops during the local memory. This time it stopped at a different program, not the one previous in my first question.

Collapse -
have the same problem
by tom4561 / July 18, 2006 9:18 AM PDT

Mine usually hangs at 2100 objects scanned(usually when it's scanning Norton). I uninstalled and re-installed, but it still hangs. Tom.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) mine starts again after 10+ minutes of waiting.
by tom4561 / July 18, 2006 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: have the same problem
Collapse -
Techreader and Tom.. do either of you have SpySweeper?
by Carol~ Moderator / July 18, 2006 9:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
Carol, You Are Correct !

I just received this info:

[quote] The latest version of Spysweeper seems, on initial analysis, to be blocking memory read access to certain modules as part of its shielding technology. This means that in all probability, applications calling ReadProcessMemory on any of the processes / modules that SS is shielding, will hang... This seems to be the case with Ad-Aware, as it hangs when reading the memory of loaded windows dlls... There are some more posts about this on the Lavasoft Support forums. As I understand it, the problem has been reported to Webroot. This problem seems similar in nature to the Symantec Anti-Tamper protection which some applications, including Ad-Aware have been having problems with.

//Steve [/quote]

It's been reported to affect other security apps as well TeMerc reported
Mcafee av
SuperAntiSpyware
Norton av
Adaware

Collapse -
Simply a ''hunch'' on my part ..
by Carol~ Moderator / July 18, 2006 10:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ROFL Oh My! :D
by Carol~ Moderator / July 18, 2006 11:14 AM PDT
In reply to: ....... more......
Collapse -
Yes, I renewed both
by indigoaven / July 18, 2006 12:50 PM PDT

My Subscribtion on both Norton and Spysweeper were due so I renewed both and I have the newest ones. I read some of the forums on others having the same problems. I paid for spysweeper and do not intend to disable it so Ad-aware can scan. I guess I'll have to wait for one of them to fix it (just like Adobe fixed micromedia flashplayer Cool HA HA I just downloaded flashplayer 6 like everyone else and now no problems. Thanks to everyone who partisipated to my question. I thought something might be wrong on my end, but I guess not.

Collapse -
Ad.Aware
by Maggie6243 / July 18, 2006 2:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I renewed both

I was reading your posts about Ad-Aware, and I think it's a Lavasoft problem. I tried to run mine about 3 hours ago, and it wouldn't finish the scan. I waited about 30 minutes and it was still at the same point as when I left it. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and tried again and the same problem. I know it's not my computer,because all of my other anti spyware programs are ok. I've never had a problem with it before today, so I'll wait 'till tomorrow and see what it does....Maggie

Collapse -
I did that too and nothing happened
by indigoaven / July 18, 2006 3:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Ad.Aware

I'll use my spysweeper and yahoo anti-virus scan (which works by the way) and wait for lavasoft to correct this. As long as you have some sort of spyware program to scan your computer than it's just all we can do for now. Thanks for your reply.
p.s. I also have spywareblaster.

Collapse -
AdAware problem solved!!
by Maggie6243 / July 18, 2006 3:32 PM PDT

I went to the Lavasoft forums and other people are having this problem, too. Well, I found out that the one's having this problem all have Webroot Spy Sweeper.I also have Spysweeper. They said to shut down Spy Sweeper and AdAware would work.So I tried it and it worked!!So, the question still remains... who's problem is it,Adaware,or Spysweeper?? Oh well, at least it works. Maybe the one responsible will fix the problem...Maggie

Collapse -
OOOPS!!!
by Maggie6243 / July 18, 2006 3:43 PM PDT

Sorry, didn't realize everyone already knew about the AdAware/Spysweeper problem. Anyway, I shut it down and scanned with AdAware and then turned Spy...back on. Hopefully it's a temporary problem....Maggie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?