Computer Help forum

Question

My laptop logs off/shuts down when connected to Internet

by Lilmwell / April 30, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

I have a HP g6 laptop. It's almost 2 years old and when/only it's connected to the wifi or even the cable Internet it logs off and shuts down after about 30seconds. If wifi is turned off or its not plugged into internet cable it stays on no problem. If its a issue with the driver How can I attempt to fix this without having to download something (like a driver) off the Internet since I am unable to connect!? Also it does the same thing when in safe mode if connected to Internet so there goes that solution? I've also did a whole system restore to factory settings and that didn't help. I'm a desperate college student with finals coming up please help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop logs off/shuts down when connected to Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop logs off/shuts down when connected to Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Same problem
by jjcon17 / May 10, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

I have the same problem with my HP. I am running Windows7 Home Premium Edition (64bit) SP1. Have you found any answers, anywhere?

Collapse -
Answer
HP Has A Suggestion For That
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 11, 2013 1:38 AM PDT

First, because your computer is a couple of years old, and heat can cause such issues, be sure to use some canned/compressed air to blow out all fans, vents, and any other dust from inside the computer cover.

Next, because the settings on the computer cause it to shut down, or restart, when an error is thrown, change the setting so it shows the error instead of shutting down.. In addition, there appears to be a BIOS update which may fix the problem although be sure to follow HP's instructions as updating the BIOS on a computer which shuts down randomly could REALLY cause issues. Still, it IS suggested as a fix in their link below:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01308794&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=5173163

Since you can't download the BIOS update from your current computer, you'll need to borrow a friend or family member's machine to download the update file, transfer it to a flash drive or CD, then copy it to the problem computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
computer shuts down when connect to the internet
by terrydcook / June 24, 2013 2:33 AM PDT

after fighting with this for some time I realized it only shut down when connected to the internet. If I turned off my WIFI, I could work no problem. Now I find it is only at home. I am in Starbucks and it is fine. I do have other machines working on the home internet. Seems to be only this HP G 60. Maybe 4 years old Hope someone has some ideas

Collapse -
And Have You????
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 24, 2013 2:46 AM PDT

......Checked for an updated driver for the wireless adapter on your computer? If not, visit the HP website and see if they have one.. If not, visit the adapter manufacturer's website and find one there.. Install it and see if it helps.

And of course, did you try the suggestions by HP at the link I provided earlier? If not, please do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
PC Shutting Down when Connected to Internet
by frogi456 / November 7, 2016 11:10 PM PST

I have had 2 HP's, 2 Dells, a Lenovo and a homebuilt PC all affected by unexpected shutdowns when idle (and very occasionally while in use) over the last 1 1/2 to 2 years. The Lenovo and one of the Dells are very new but following siut with the others. Noe of these pc's shut down when at other locations or when Wifi is interrupted. I only found out recently that disconnecting the wifi stopped the shutdowns.
The problem persists although I have been searching for an answer all that time. I have searched for heat issues and checked event logs. I changed my router twice (i read of firmware updates in an older Netgear N300 router so changed it). More recently I have learned of Windows telemetry and have discontinued that (as far as the methods used are viable).
Something I noticed as well is that when windows was reinstalled on an earlier laptop, and on brand new pcs (Dell & Lenovo) the laptops continued to run without unexpected shutdowns until Windows updates were installed after which they immediately began to shutdown after only a few minutes of idle time.

I would surely appreciate any suggestions.

Collapse -
Connecting to WiFi shuts down computer
by TennesseeGMan / November 7, 2017 7:53 PM PST

I had this same problem (blue-screen then reboot, try to connect again and the cycle repeats) and couldn't find the answer anywhere either. What finally fixed it for me was to go into the adapter settings and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". To get there go to control panel/network and internet/network connections, right click the WiFi adapter and choose properties, click configure, go to the power management tab and uncheck the top checkbox.

Collapse -
Yayy
by DoGuenette42 / January 20, 2018 2:24 PM PST

This worked for me. Thanks man.

Collapse -
Answer
use your android phone as a wireless adapter
by jayson94 / December 12, 2016 7:51 AM PST

the problem on ur laptop is the wireless card . u can use ur android phone as a wifi adapter, just connect it via usb and then go to settings on the phone and look for usb tethering.... im using this method right now to tell u this. if i explained this very poorly u can watch a video on youtube........ **** i just looked at the date , u posted this problem in 2013..... this answer goes to any1 else with this problem

Collapse -
Tethering Works like a charm...
by Kanatawolf / August 27, 2018 2:21 AM PDT

I know this is an older posting BUT I was having the same problem and was getting frustrated and then saw your suggestion about tethering... works like a charm! Thanks so much for the information...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.