HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

My laptop keeps waking itself up from sleep mode....

by evelani / September 27, 2008 11:25 AM PDT

Hi there all, I have a Toshiba Satellite A201 with Vista SP1. I've set the laptop to Sleep when the power button is pressed, and it does so just fine, but the problem is that it will bring itself out of sleep mode all by itself then go back into sleep mode after a while. It continues this routine periodically, so that all of a sudden I will notice the screen come on. I'm thinking maybe I've missed a setting somewhere but can't seem to figure out what. I tend to use Hibernate more often that I want to to avoid this, but takes longer to soft-boot when I want to get back to work. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've googled this prob. but I only get thousands of entries coming up telling me what sleep mode is and how to enable it. Thanks for reading!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop keeps waking itself up from sleep mode....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop keeps waking itself up from sleep mode....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Make sure there are no devices attached...
by fbbbb / September 28, 2008 5:32 PM PDT

... which could bring the computer out of standby.

Common ones include mouse (moving it will trigger wakeup) and LAN (if it was set to "Allow this device to wake the computer" in the LAN adapter configuration), as well as forgotten entries in the Scheduled Tasks list.

Collapse -
Thanks....
by evelani / September 28, 2008 10:47 PM PDT

Thanks for replying. Most likely the mouse, I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.