HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

my laptop is v. slow i expect its trojans/viruses need help.

by terryN09 / February 16, 2008 3:23 AM PST

I recently tried to download some software off limewire onto my Toshiba Equium L20-192. Probably a big mistake. Now my laptop is incredibly slow, it takes about 20-40 minutes to log on and load, the windows task manager displays that the CPU useage is always between 75%-100%. Before I tried to download software off limewire, my laptop was working perfectly.
The problem seems to be Trojans and worms on my computer and Norton Antivirus seems to be nothing about them, I also have many pop ups whenever im browsing.
so does any one have any tips on how to get rid of these viruses and get it back to normal.
Any help will be fantastic as I have coursework to do all week
p.s. I've already done virus scans and deleted limewire off my laptop

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my laptop is v. slow i expect its trojans/viruses need help.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my laptop is v. slow i expect its trojans/viruses need help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try system restore
by welrdelr / February 16, 2008 3:54 AM PST

safe mode
system restore
remove unnecessary programs

Don't download unless you know what you are doing.

Collapse -
Already tries system restore/roll bacl
by terryN09 / February 16, 2008 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: try system restore

I've tried a system restore/rollback however there were no save points points before this all happened.

Collapse -
Restore CD set
by welrdelr / February 16, 2008 5:00 AM PST

Did you make a backup cd restore set?

If no, then repost this with a new title and more information on the exact windows OS release(vista, xp, me, etc) forum that coincides with your OS.

Collapse -
Check With Antispyware Programs...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 8:09 AM PST

Norton isn't perfect when it comes to checking for the newest trojans and spyware which can slow down your computer. Please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with either, or both of the free antispyware programs from the links below:

Ewido/AVG Antispyware 7.5 Tool

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Delete all they find and let us know what types of malware are detected. One note, the antispyware tools above will do a better job if you run the full system scan while in SAFE MODE.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.