Networking & Wireless forum

Question

My laptop does not like my work's wifi?

by thattori / July 12, 2013 1:51 AM PDT

I have a new P500 Lenovo laptop. It works fine on all wifi networks except for my work network (that works totally fine on all other computers and laptops throughout the building). No matter where I work - right next to the router, five feet away, etc - the signal is dropped every few minutes. This doesn't happen to anyone else, any other laptops. or anywhere else. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? It's getting to be quite a pain. Everything I've found has either been suggestions to bump up the router, which works fine, or to update drivers, which I have done.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My laptop does not like my work's wifi?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My laptop does not like my work's wifi?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

This year one of my own routers was being picky about what devices it would work with.

The big clue it was not my laptop was a note about issues with iPads. On a hunch I installed an older router firmware and the issue vanished.

The good news here is it's at work so your IT staffer should work on it.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-560420/wifi-disconnects-from-time-to-time-galaxy-tab-7-plus/?tag=contentBody;threadListing you discover another issue you may encounter from time to time.

Certainly your IT staffer would know both these issues. Let them at it.
Bob
In parting, it's a shame the details are not here. If you read

Collapse -
Answer
Networking: Wireless LAN Solutions
by livepcexpert7 / July 19, 2013 9:09 AM PDT

01. Download the Wireless Drivers from the link -
http://support.lenovo.com/en_IN/downloads/default.page?selector=expand#

02. Enter the Model Number of your Laptop and then click on : "Networking:
Wireless LAN"

03. Download all the drivers and save them on your computer

04. Click on Start - Control Panel, click Hardware and Sound, and then click
Device Manager

05. Expand the "Network Adapters", right-click the device entry, and click
Uninstall

06. On the Confirm Device Removal dialog box, click OK to start the
uninstall process

07. Restart the Laptop

08. Install the Downloaded Drivers

09. Restart the Laptop and then connect to the Wireless Network that you
want

Collapse -
Thanks!
by thattori / July 19, 2013 10:28 PM PDT

Thank you! I've done that before, but figured that trying it again wouldn't hurt - and for whatever reason, it worked this time. I literally uninstalled and reinstalled the exact same driver software. Weird!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!