Alert

My laptop can't boot without power cord

I recently spilled some coffee in my laptop, which unfortunately have caused some failures regarding the boot up.

When my DC cable isn't plugged in, i am not able to boot the laptop. However, if i plug my cable in, boot it, and unplug the cable there is no problem.

Could it be the CMOS battery, or some circuit on the motherboard which took some water damage during my little coffee-incident?

I haven't experienced any checksum failures, nor clock resets.

At the moment i'm not able to provide you with the name of the computer, but it's a Zepto Znote (Unknown danish brand) and it's about 3 years old and is running Windows 7.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My laptop can't boot without power cord
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My laptop can't boot without power cord
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Why not?

Why not try the (cheap) CMOS battery since what's next is the mainboard, cables and more. Those are much more expensive.

To repeat. Try the cheap stuff first.
Bob

- Collapse -
other reboot options?

Have you tried other shutdown and startup options such as standby or hibernate? I'm not saying that you need to use these from now on, just curious as to wether the problem persists with these different methods or wether its just a problem with full shutdown or restart... Also, have you noticed any decrease in battery life or performance? After you spilled the coffee did you open the laptop and thoroughly clean it with medical wipes or just let it dry?

- Collapse -

Thanks for your replies! glad someone can assist me in this area!

I can reboot without the power cord connected though. It's only when the laptop is shutdown i encounter these problems.

I opened the computer after the incident and dried it with a regular hair-dryer. No, i haven't noticed any other symptoms regarding decrease in battery performance.

CNET Forums