Storage forum

General discussion

My kitten knocked over my external hdd!!!

My kitten knocked over my external hdd and now it is clicking! My computer will not recognize it. Is there anyway I can recover the data. If anyone has had a similar problem, how much did it cost you to recover your data?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My kitten knocked over my external hdd!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My kitten knocked over my external hdd!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Top of the forum.

In reply to: My kitten knocked over my external hdd!!!

But clickers almost always run about 600 bucks at www.drivesavers.com

Can I ask why there is no backup? Recovery costs so much that backup looks cheap.
Bob

Collapse -
back up

In reply to: Top of the forum.

This was my back up drive!! I have almost all my files on the 2 other drives I have. I think I may have lost 3-4 folders. These folders however had movies, tv shows and pictures!

Collapse -
Then no real loss.

In reply to: back up

Whew.

Collapse -
review others in forum and check "sticky post"

In reply to: My kitten knocked over my external hdd!!!

Sorry, you have the "click of death" which usually means no real work around. Its a h/w fault, that will fail entirely. Since, you mention you have some other backup, then consider the ext. HD a lost. You can if possible buy another similar HD itself, replace the old with new of the enclosure, just buy the right type, even a larger one if you like.

All too often as stated here in the storage forum, you won't recover much or all of it should you persist in doing so. If possible, try the warranty path, maybe the replacement cost will be low or even free except for minor costs. However, the data is pretty much toast. The last gasp, is to remove the ext. HD inside and mount in a desktop system and try to recover data.

Next time, have the ext. HD somewhere not too exposed to kitty. My cats don't trouble mine, as I use Velcro strips to keep in place. idea!

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.