Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Networking & Wireless forum

Question

My internet keeps dropping out. Why?

by iwish40 / March 10, 2015 2:31 PM PDT

This just started this past week....
I know this is going to sound weird, but, at nighttime after 9pm, my husband will be watching the HD TV and I'm on my 27 inch iMac. out of nowhere the cable will drop out, he has to hit a button on the remote, and it brings it back up.
The internet will also just drop out. I called the cable co. and they sent out a Technician he installed new connectors, That was Monday, Monday night it started happening again, tonight (Tuesday) it has started up again...

The Modem belongs to the cable co. the router (Linksys Wireless-G Broadband with 4 ports) is ours.

(Before the Tech came to our home, the Internet agent had me run a Tracescan, when I read the numbers to her, she said she could see that there was a communication problem between the modem and the internet.)

I want to call the cable co back up, but, my husband says they'll never get it fixed.

Also, we're thinking of getting a new router (ours is at least 10 yrs old) any suggestions on which is the best router to buy?

We have connected, 3 iPhones 5s, 27 inch iMac, HP laptop, Macbook Pro, 2 internet ready HD TVs. (1 hd tv is hooked up to the internet). a older TV in our bedroom that can be connected to the internet via the PS3 or WII, and a regular tv in my youngest sons room....

When the internet and cable drop out, sometimes at the same time, Only my iMac and my husbands HD Tv and our 2 iPhones are On...all the others are off.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My internet keeps dropping out. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My internet keeps dropping out. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
timed outage
by James Denison / March 10, 2015 2:36 PM PDT

I wouldn't suspect the router, but would suspect the way it's programmed. Might be a setting for dropping the "lease" each day at a particular time until a new demand is made, which is what happens when your husband uses the remote for the TV. Go into the router settings and look for that. If not, I'd suspect the ISP might be doing it and not admitting it.

Collapse -
Answer
PROBLEM FOUND
by iwish40 / March 26, 2015 6:21 AM PDT

After a few more days and nights of our internet dropping out, I finally caved and called our isp.
They set up another appointment for the next week to have their service tech come to our home.
Then the next day, I get a phone call from one of their Field Techs, he said that there HAD been a problem in my area and that the problem had been fixed!
I asked him, then "Why didn't the agent on the phone tell me this?", he said he didn't understand himself that the agents said they were not "allowed" to say.
He gave me 2 phone numbers to call if my internet went out, he said call either of those 2 phone numbers at ANY time day or night..
So far its been smooth sailing, no drop outs.

Thank you to those who did respond to my question. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Just Kidding
by NiazA / April 10, 2015 4:51 AM PDT

woohoooo That's a LOT of gadgets in one house lol.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!