Computer Help forum

General discussion

my internet is laggy and it shouldnt be

by majackson / March 21, 2007 12:58 PM PDT

hey my name is mitch and i love to play video games. but heres my problem i always lag all the time ive tried a couple thing including buying registry fix ( didnt work ). i have no idea what to do. my system specs are-- microsoft windows XP media center edition version 2002 service pack 2 .gateway GM5048 intel(R) pentium(R)D cpu 3.00GHz
2.00GB of ram. 465gig harddrive 26.7 used space i have a decent grapics card 184 bucks plz help me

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my internet is laggy and it shouldnt be
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my internet is laggy and it shouldnt be
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey Mitch
by tomron / March 21, 2007 1:07 PM PDT
"registry fix( didnt work )",not saying this will solve your issue,but try CCLEANER which is a freebie and is highly regarded.Some of it's features are scanning the registry for invalid entries,removes temp files,cookies,etc.

Have you run any anti virus or anti spyware programs?

Tom
Collapse -
What kind of connection?
by jackson dougless / March 21, 2007 11:09 PM PDT

I'm assuming you're talking about online gameplay, since you mention your Internet connection in the subject. If the assumption is correct, one of the more important details here, is what kind of Internet connection you have. For example, dialup will likely be very laggy, cable could be quite laggy at times, and DSL should be the least laggy, but is in no way immune.

There's also the possibility of malware to contend with, and several things that are outside of your control that could be causing the lag.

Collapse -
Poor child
by Hollow06 / March 22, 2007 7:45 AM PDT

OK, Video games have their own software that deals with internet and it is fully customizable. So if your interent connection doesn't suck then read on.

If your graphics settings are too high then that will cause lag, try lower settings.

Every Game on this planet has a forum going around and help about how to optimize there settings.

When i used to play CS , it was rate, cl_rate cl_cmdrate cl_updaterate ext.....

You get the point, rate being 2000 could make my ping 500, or it being 12000 would make it an optimal 60.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.