Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My ide cd rom drive and my usb ext cd-rw does not show in

by er_paez47 / April 13, 2006 4:16 AM PDT

Hi,
Win 98se gateway computer inte cel 433 mhz model 433c, my computer copuples days ago started to work very slow so i was checking for a virus and found one but then i was needed to read a cd and put the cd in and it did not load so i went to Device manager and there is no CD drives there, so my IDE internal cd rom does not appears and the usb external cd burner is not there so of course i went into the bios and i can see that the cd rom is recognized by the bios but in windows is not, i installed spy sweeper and i found a lot of spywares,do you guys nowof any issues related with these ?
Thanks
Ernesto

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My ide cd rom drive and my usb ext cd-rw does not show in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My ide cd rom drive and my usb ext cd-rw does not show in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The name of the virus may help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 4:41 AM PDT

Sometimes we find some specific damage was done.

Bob

Collapse -
Don't know the name
by er_paez47 / April 13, 2006 5:02 AM PDT

Bob,
I ran the norton and i have norton setup to delete the virus, so i don't remember the name, and don't know if norton keeps track of names of virus deleted anythingelse you can help me out any particular file you think i can reinstall from the win 98 se cd, or any other trick, what should i do to make windows to look for the cd drive but what is weird is that also the usb cd drive burner is not accessible in fact the D drive just to be the ide cd rom and E the usb burner drive, these does not shown over my computer and course not in device manager,any other clues or link will be very appreciated
Thanks
Ernesto
Thanks

Collapse -
try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't know the name
http://www.usbman.com and focus on the Motherboard Driver package, hidden drive letters (I use TWEAKUI).

Bob
Collapse -
I went to quarentine report
by er_paez47 / April 13, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

I got some of the virus name that were in the quarentine most of them are "w32ntesky.p@mmtenc" and "w32netsky.p@nn", also under quarentine , i have these files CC2D1.TMP, REPORT01.ZIP FOLDERS.DBT THAT are not able to be repair, and also the body.pif file was deleted, and also i have a file named body.zip, can not be repair either so i guess is all the info i can submit unless you ask me for something else, i am using Norton antv 2003 with the lattes signatures
any help ?
Thanks

Collapse -
Looks bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.netsky.p@mm.html

These virus writers don't care if you use an out of date Antivirus. 2003 is now... out of date. With AVAST and AVG being free I see no reason to stick with an old antivirus. I won't debate this, sorry.

If I were to be there I'd first clean it up and consider an over the top OS install from the Windows 98se CD. By this many years you'll be adept at using your boot diskette and installing the OS. If not, please read the many other posts on how to install Windows 98se. No need to duplicate this.

After that, I would install any drivers specific to the machine and CDRW drive.

Bob
Collapse -
I found the name of the virus norton just deleted
by er_paez47 / April 13, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

The name is "Trojan.StartPage", was deleted 01/11/2006, it was when i could not see my cd rom drive anymore, so i don't know if this will give you clue and i can get help from you.
Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?