Mac OS forum

General discussion

my ibook is slowing down, need advice

hello,

i have a 800 MHz, 256 MB ibook G4 that i bought almost 2 years ago. i've noticed recently that it's been slowing down quite a bit, and i can barely have two applications running without the little rainbow wheel showing up. i often have to force applications to quit or the application quits on me. this seems to happen more frequently when i'm on the web, even though i have DSL and this never happened before.

one thing that has been different is that i have downloaded firefox and that's what i normally use. when i view the file info for my hard drive it says that i have 27.94 GB of capacity, 17 GB available and 11 GB used on disk.

any suggestions for how i can get my ibook running smooth again? thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my ibook is slowing down, need advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my ibook is slowing down, need advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Slow iBook

In reply to: my ibook is slowing down, need advice

A lot more information is required but we'll do the best with what we have.
What OS are you running? How much RAM do you have installed? How often do you restart the machine.
First thing to try is to go to the Disk Utilities and run the Disk First Aid and Repair Disk permissions. Next, in the same place, verify the disk. You will not be able to fix any problems found but it will be a starting point.
If it does find problems, you will have to start from the OS X CD and run Disk utility from there.
Download and install a free program called Yasu, Google for it, and run the utilities that it contains.
Note that Firefox has a memory leak problem and it will gradually use up ALL available memory in your machine. Lack of memory will cause the symptoms that you describe. To reclaim the memory, restart the machine.
What, if any, Disk Utilities do you own? I recommend Disk Warrior and TechTool Pro to begin with, in that order.

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
thank you. a couple more questions

In reply to: Slow iBook

I have OS 10.3 and i don't know how to find out how much RAM i have. is that memory? sorry, i don't know too much. does 128 MB sound right?

i usually just put my ibook to sleep rather than shutting it down and restarting it. should i stop doing that? also, should i stop using firefox altogether and put it in the trash?

i will try everything you said to start with. thanks again

Collapse -
Answers

In reply to: thank you. a couple more questions

128MB sounds about right. Take a look under the Apple menu, about this Mac and, in the resulting window, choose More Info.
You will be surprised at what shows up.
Putting the machine to sleep is fine, just try a restart now and again when you have been using Firefox.
Safari is a reliable browser but also has the memory problem, I think.
Keep using Firefox if it is good for you

P

Collapse -
Let me comment.

In reply to: my ibook is slowing down, need advice

Get the latest Firefox there is. With each version I see less and less issues. Also I ran into someone claiming that there was a leak but it was just Firefox caching (in RAM) web pages. There is a setting for this so you can cut that down for lower memory machines.

128M is slim today. I'd want 512M but if your machine can take a 128M stick it could be quite cheap to double that RAM and get big payback for the 20 or so buck investment.

I had this 11GB laptop drive that never did perform well. It got slower over time too. The fix was to replace it with the next RPM step faster (was 4200, now is 5400) and went from 11GB to 40GB. While it's not MacOSX, the boot time fell from over 4 minutes to under 2. I know I could not have optimized my way to such an improvement.

Cheers,

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!